recording sound from powerbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBlue, Jul 12, 2005.

1. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    I tried searching this and found no answer that helped. maybe the question is too obvious, I don't know.

I just want to record a few basic sounds with the internal mic in the powerbook. my kid says some random funny things and I want to record it and probably post it (if possible) on this parenting forum I run. (also vBulletin)
    I see the system prefs sound options, I see that is notices noise, but where do I go from here? I want to record the sound, and I am apparently too dense to figure this out. (no cheeky comments pleae, everyone has to learn sometime) ;)

can anyone provide step by step easy instructions for doing this? (and where/how to host this recording so it can be heard on the web)? please?
    any help would be very appreciated! :)
  2. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    quicktime pro (not sure if normal quicktime) allows you to record sound under File -> New Audio Recording
  3. floyde macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2005
    Monterrey, México
    hmm... I'm at my crappy Windows XP PC at work so I can't remember if OS X has a sound recording utility...
    But if you have GarageBand (iLife '05) then its pretty simple:
    -Add new Basic track (i think its in the file menu somewhere...)
    -Click on the new track to select it and make sure the record button to the left is on (the circle is red when its on)
    -Click on the main record button (at the bottom of the screen) to begin and then again to stop once you are finished.
    -When you are done recording, go to the File menu and choose "export to iTunes". And that's it...
  4. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I used this method to record my boy singing "Eency Weency Spider" (how the heck do you spell that, anyway?), and added some cheesy guitar accompaniment via GarageBand. My wife and the grandparents love it.
  5. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    Incy Wincy spider ;)

Here's a simple recorder:

peace | neut
  6. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    wow, thanks so much everyone! I sure appreciate it! I will be trying it as soon as my cheeky wee lad wakes up. :D (he's 3) He does this thing where in the middle of his muttering mock-swear he yells COMPUTER... I guess he has heard me swear at the computer (the XP machine) one too many times and picked up on it, he associates it with a swear word, it's hilarious to hear. If I get it going I will post it here :) nothing cuter than hearing a little kid mock cussing and yelling computer mid-way through HAHA :p
    thank you for all the help, you guys are the best!