Recording sound on iMac - Griffin iMic any good?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by H&Kie, Jan 23, 2005.

1. H&Kie macrumors regular

Hi,

I've got a lot of records (the black, 12" vinyl ones) that I'd like to digitalize, but when I connect my stereo to my iMac G5, the 3,5" jack plug doesn't fit to well in the Mac. I have to pull back the plug a bit to get a signal on both stereo chanels (I had the same problem on my former iMac G3)

Now it seems the Griffin iMic fits all "standard" 3,5" jack plugs and it even offers better sound than when using the normal audio in. Is there anyone who uses or can recommend (or not) the iMic?

Thanks anyway

2. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

I've been using:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerwave/

I like it because I can use a pair of Apple pro speakers with 'em.

Overall, I've been happy with Griffin products, here's the set-up:

Turntables/DJ mixer---> Griffin Powerwave---> 12" iBook G3---> GarageBand---> iTunes---> Burn to CD.

No problems thus far, hope this helps!

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

If you are going to capture vinil use a good Analog to Digital convertor, or at list something better.

The reason is that, even you think you do not notice, the regular line imput of all computers uses very cheap componets that creat harmonic distortion and are not accurate to the original waveform of the audio. That mean that eventually you will notice that you are loosing a lot of the original audio, you will loose the warm of the base and deepness. It will sound good but if you really want to do a loyal capture from those albums you are not going to see any more get a better audio capture device.

IF you really want to go all the way (in a semi pro level of course) go to eBay and get a Digidesign Digi 001. Or you can connect you video camera (if you have one) via firewire and capture the audio trough it to FCP Express and then cut the songs there.

You can get a good capture audio device for $100 or so I think (used).

I mean, if you are going to spend several hours capturing albums you can do it the best you can at last.

4. H&Kie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info folks!

I like the Powerwave for what I've seen of it :)
    And I'm gonna check eBay tonite for some more...

5. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Do yourself a favor and get a decent A/D converter. The iMic is really not the best, though it will suffice if all you are interested in is getting the sound in. If you want to preserve the "life" of the recordings, I would suggest something decent.

Check out www.m-audio.com for some decent, but cheap options.