recording speech

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chubby Cox, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Chubby Cox macrumors member

May 2, 2004
    sorry if this is a silly question
    i was wondering if there's a way to record the output of os x's built in voice synthesizer. for instance, if i were use it to read an email aloud, is there a way i can save that audio file to an .mp3 or .wav? i'm asking because i've been doing alot of sample and loop-based stuff in garageband and thought it would be cool to add some computerized voices to the song, sort of like kraftwerk.
    any help is greatly appreciated!
  2. pagesoflines macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2004
    I know that there are programs available to record audio directly from the output, prior to it traveling outside of the speakers, especially handy for jacking songs off websites that have some kind of download protection. However, I'm entirely unsure if there are any available for the mac.

you could always go the old school, ghetto route and just turn on your mic next to your speaker, and get it far enough so you don't get feedback. you might lose some quality, but if it's buried in a song, it probably won't make a difference at all.
  3. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
  4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    An easy way to record the voice to an AIFF file is to just use the -o option in the say command (terminal)

say -o out.aiff "hello there"