Recording to Laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wwidgirl, Sep 21, 2004.

1. wwidgirl macrumors member

wwidgirl

I have a 12inch powerbook. I know that I have a built in mic and using Office I can record lectures easily. HOwever, when i'm not sitting at the front of the room my built in mic does not capture sound as well as I would like.

What can I use instead? Does Imic include a built in mic of some kind?? Can I use an external mic easily with my powerbook? What mic should I purchase?

2. daxdagr8t macrumors member

Do you have an Ipod?because I use italk to record my lectures.The mic is very sensitive can record my prof lectures with no problem.

3. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

mics

Althought im not sure of how you can easily record i do know that imic is only adding high quality audio in and out ports which your pb already has.

Sorry i can be more of a help. they do sell cheap little mikes in radio shack but tere probaly worse than the internal mike

4. wwidgirl thread starter macrumors member

wwidgirl

This would be my ideal situation but unfortunately my ipod mini is incompatible with italk!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

a very high quality solution would be the "mbox" by www.digidesign.com together with a pro-quality microphone. (by pro-quality i mean that the mic has balanced xlr output, not necessarily the best-mic-money-can-buy studio tube condenser.)

that solution costs about $500 but you get what you pay for ;)

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

You could buy an iSight, and as well as using the good quality built in microphone for word, you also have a very good webcam as well. The only two downsides are

1. It may be expensive if you just want a mic.

2. You may look a little daft using the thing in class ( mind you not much more than using an external mic I guess)