Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwidgirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
I have a 12inch powerbook. I know that I have a built in mic and using Office I can record lectures easily. HOwever, when i'm not sitting at the front of the room my built in mic does not capture sound as well as I would like.

What can I use instead? Does Imic include a built in mic of some kind?? Can I use an external mic easily with my powerbook? What mic should I purchase?

daxdagr8t

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
wwidgirl said:
I have a 12inch powerbook. I know that I have a built in mic and using Office I can record lectures easily. HOwever, when i'm not sitting at the front of the room my built in mic does not capture sound as well as I would like.

What can I use instead? Does Imic include a built in mic of some kind?? Can I use an external mic easily with my powerbook? What mic should I purchase?

Do you have an Ipod?because I use italk to record my lectures.The mic is very sensitive can record my prof lectures with no problem.

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
mics

Althought im not sure of how you can easily record i do know that imic is only adding high quality audio in and out ports which your pb already has.

Sorry i can be more of a help. they do sell cheap little mikes in radio shack but tere probaly worse than the internal mike

wwidgirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
daxdagr8t said:
Do you have an Ipod?because I use italk to record my lectures.The mic is very sensitive can record my prof lectures with no problem.

This would be my ideal situation but unfortunately my ipod mini is incompatible with italk!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
a very high quality solution would be the "mbox" by http://www.digidesign.com together with a pro-quality microphone. (by pro-quality i mean that the mic has balanced xlr output, not necessarily the best-mic-money-can-buy studio tube condenser.)

that solution costs about $500 but you get what you pay for ;)

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
You could buy an iSight, and as well as using the good quality built in microphone for word, you also have a very good webcam as well. The only two downsides are

1. It may be expensive if you just want a mic.

2. You may look a little daft using the thing in class ( mind you not much more than using an external mic I guess)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.