recording with garageband?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Johnbmx26, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Johnbmx26 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm pretty new to recording, and I just got a Yamaha mixer, and my drum mics. I see there is no mic input and I'm guessing I need a griffin imic? I was wondering, would these work with my bose speakers? The bose speaker has a volume controller that connects to the headphone port on my Ibook G4, but it also has a mic input, I'm guessing this would work, but the main problem I've been having is muting the internal mic.. It can't mute all the way, even with the volume all the way down.. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

A bit more info about what you want to do will help, what kind of recordings are you trying to make?

You can turn the mic off in the Sound control panel in system preferences, switch the input to Line-input.

You could connect the output of your yamaha into the line input with the correct cables, but it's not a good way to work, you'll probably need an audio interface with multiple inputs and outputs, but until I know what your goals are its not easy to recommend anything.

Lets us know a bit more detail and there are a number of good audio folks here who can help.

3. Johnbmx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I'm not really trying to do a professional recording, just a decent quality one. I'm just going to be recording myself drumming.

At first I planned on recording onto a mini disc, but I thought it could be better doing it through the ibook.
    I don't have enough money to buy an interface, the most I'll probably do is buy an imic if I need it..

John

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

OK, plug your mics into your mixer as usual, get a 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo cable and plug the headphone output of your mixer into the line input of your iBook (make sure your iBook HAS a line-in first, obviously).

Hook the output of your iBook up to some speakers.

Set your levels and record into GB, listen back, change your levels, try again. Repeat.

It's not perfect cos you can't do much with the recoring once it's done, just EQ, compress, reverb etc. but it's better than a minidisc.

If your iBook doesn't have a line-input, then you will need something like the iMic.