Recording with Garageband

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jorasho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

May 10, 2005

I am trying to record a show with music and voice on my iMac G5 with analog line in. However, as I use Garageband, as soon as I record any sound I hear my fan going through it which I can't cancel, even with maximum correction. So I decided an external microphone would be a great idea, however spending very much money is not an option as I'm going to use this equipment maybe only once and certainly not very often.

- A Philips microphone battery powered mic gave reception, however only fair when putting my lips against the microphone, which is not acceptable.
    - A Logitech Desktop Microphone gave exactly no reception.

Can you recommend me which microphone/solution to acquire or if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!
  2. macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2005
    I have a logitech USB desktop microphone for random needs. It works VERY well actually. It is only a mono mic, but it is noise free.

If this is the one you have, try this:

For me to get it to work with Logic (probably same for garageband) I had to go to Audio Midi Setup, and then at the top, choose Audio>Aggregate Device Editor, and then USE for AK537(the usb mic) AND also USE for onboard audio (or whatever sound card you are using). And I called this device 'USB Mic'

Now in System prefs, and Logic prefs, I have chosen 'USB Mic' as my audio device input, and it works.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

May 10, 2005
    No, my one was the one with the normal sound plug. The USB version was not available at the store.

I guess I will go to some pro-sound-store and ask them if there is a cheap solution to work with my Mac.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2005
    USB mics are best, for a cheap solution. No noise. Otherwise, you'll need a firewire interface with XLR inputs for a real microphone. It gets expensive very fast. Good luck!
  5. macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i don't get this. what's so special about a USB mic that it's more quiet -- no noise, even -- than the typical mic -> pre -> converter setup?
  6. macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2005

A $10 cheap USB mic is better than the $5 cheap analog plug mini jack mic. Sorry, should have clarified.

Just look in the internet. A good mic is anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars; plus a firewire audio interface, etc. Minimum of around $500 you can spend to get a low end mic and interface. m-audio may have a cheaper package deal, if you aren't looking for anything special.

Or get a cheap desktop usb mic. Unfortunately, those are your only options.

Edit: Something like this, perhaps:
  7. macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    The cheapest set-up to get good quality would be a SM58 with a M-Audio FastTrack USB. If you want better quality in your mic, get a condenser, I recommend the M-Audio Nova. Note: Most condenser mics use Phantom Power, which the FastTrack can't provide, but the M-Audio MobilePre can.

Get all your equipment used on eBay to save a ton of money. That's what I did and I just finished recording my first CD in GarageBand. MySpace toned down the quality quite a bit when I uploaded it and the television I recorded and put in the background gives it a "dirty" feel (thus, the "Dirty - EP"), but you can have a listen here if you like. My set-up is M-Audio Nova and M-Audio MobilePre. Note that the acoustic guitar is recorded both with a mic AND the instrument jack at the same time. It gives a much fuller sound. Using two mics would give an even nicer, more realistic sound.