Recording with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by phishndave, May 6, 2006.

1. phishndave macrumors member

Hello, I am in a band and we would like to record our shows using my macbook. I would assume that by using an 1/8 inch male to RCA males that i could record using garageband. I have tried this and plugged the RCA's into the tape out (****** board) but nothing seemed to work.

Any suggestions?

2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I would get a USB or FireWire audio interface. The line in on your MacBook Pro really isn't going to provide good sound for anything. The best FireWire mixer (you can use it to mix your shows or record your band's next CD) is the Alesis MultiMix. There are several different channel inputs on various models. There are USB models as well, but you can't record as many track simultaneously.

If you just want a cheap audio interface to use, get one from M-Audio. Apple seems to favor that company. And so do I. :)

Daniel.

3. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

5. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm not familiar with optical or the RCA cables he's speaking of... so maybe it is sweet. I was talking about the line-in being crappy.

Also, nice Bible verse. It's nice to see a brother in Christ on here.

Daniel.

6. phishndave thread starter macrumors member

i have the M-Audio mobile pre usb, but i want to record straight from the soundboard to get the best mix and quality. THere has to be a better way to do this.

7. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

There isn't. Going through an audio interface is the best route. Trying to go into the crappy line in will make it worse, not better. With an audio interface, you should get much better analog to digital conversion, and THAT is where your best quality is going to come from. Macs are not built to be first rate audio processors (with cutting edge or professional analog to digital audio converters), therefore don't ask it to do what it can't.

I would strongly recommend saving up the extra bones and get a decent Firewire interface (versus a USB 1.1 one) because it will allow good multitrack recording. You will eventually want this. You might now be satisfied with a two-track stereo master off the mixing board, but will later want to isolate all the instruments when recording to make a better mix.

8. simon-says macrumors regular

I know this happened to me, and it drove me insane. But did you make sure to change the audio input to line-in and not leave it as the microphone? I thought my Powerbook was broken till I finally figured that out.

9. phishndave thread starter macrumors member

okay wait, so i can connect the Mobile Pre USB to the soundboard? How do i do that? XLR outputs? 1/4 inch?

10. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

You run line-level signal (presumably 1/4 inch outputs from the stereo main out of the board--or from an auxiliary main out) to your Mobile Pre USB 1/4 inch line-level inputs. There you go. (keep in mind that if the club is already using the only stereo main outs, there are ways to route signal to get around that, but you have to know the board a bit to do it).

11. phishndave thread starter macrumors member

awesome...thanks for the tips guys, i'll let you know how it goes

12. Bobby Garcia macrumors newbie

Bobby Garcia

Pro Tools for MBP

Just trying to find out if ANYONE knows or has heard news about Pro Tools going Universal (other than what is on digidesigns site). I've been sitting here with my unopened MBOX 2 threatening to sell it off, (I've had it for about one month). Is anyone else on here sharing my frustration?

13. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

How would anyone know more than Digidesigns?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

did you not know about the current compatability state?

15. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

They have stated it will be out by the end of the month. You could install Windows XP and use that to run Pro Tools LE for now if you really need to and have an XP disc with SP2.

16. ledzeppelin571 macrumors newbie

My drummer bought an Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire Mixer from eBay, but he didn't get a cord with it. So what I'm curious about is, how do I connect from my Firewire port on my MacBook Pro to the mixer? I see no Firewire port o the mixer, but I see the Digital Out port that looks like an RCA yellow-outlined port. I have no clue how to connect these, do I need more than one cord? Connectors/Converter cords? Please help me

Hi, I saw your reply, so you seem to know your stuff. My drummer bought an Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire Mixer from eBay, but he didn't get a cord with it. So what I'm curious about is, how do I connect from my Firewire port on my MacBook Pro to the mixer? I see no Firewire port o the mixer, but I see the Digital Out port that looks like an RCA yellow-outlined port. I have no clue how to connect these, do I need more than one cord? Connectors/Converter cords? If you could help me I would really appreciate it.