Recording with the Fender Cyber-Twin?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by guitargoddsjm, Dec 12, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey all, I'm thinking about doing small amounts of guitar recording; I have a tight budget, so I'd like to avoid purchasing anything if possible (although I understand this may not be realistic).

In the past when I recorded with a friend's digital mixer, we mic'd the amps, fed this into the mixer, and the mixer connected to my laptop via USB. Unfortunately, I don't own a digital audio interface.

What I'd really like to do is connect my Fender Cyber-Twin 2x12 (original, not the SE) directly to my computer. Here is a picture of the back of the amp:
    http://www.sound1.no/images/fender/forsterkere/cybertwin/fender_cyber_twin_back.jpg

The connections I think may work are:
    • Amp headphones jack (1/4") > 1/4M to 1/8F converter > 1/8" stereo cable > Macbook Pro line-in
    • Amp XLR out (there's a toggle switch for mono) > XLR to 1/8" cable > Macbook Pro line-in
    • Amp SPDIF output > ??? > Macbook Pro line-in

Would any of these work? Would any of these work well? Any other advice/suggestions?

Thanks in advice!

2. Jolly Jimmy, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean for $15-20 I can get the converter and cables and use the digital line-in of my (15") Macbook Pro (i.e., take the SPDIF route)?

4. macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. Would I get significantly better quality if I used an audio interface?

6. macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

To get similar results you'd need to spend a fair bit more.

7. macrumors 601

zimv20

you would get a different sound if you went with a more conventional mic'ing technique. you'd get the sound of the room, the sound of the mic, and the sound of the mic pre.

i like those things, but ymmv.

8. macrumors G4

Your amps has spdif output? Use that and get an exact digital copy of the sound.

But if you were to buy a small audio interface for about $100 you can plug a guitar straight into that and then you the guiatar effects in Garage Band. They are not bad at all. The presets are a little bit of stereotypes but you can tweak them

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I totally understand. We used to stick mics in front of the amps, drums, etc. Unfortunately, as I stated, I don't currently have access to a digital audio interface.

My amp is basically a modeling amp, but instead of modeling the amps & effects digitally, the circuitry is rerouted so that it actually matches the circuitry (tubes, capacitors, etc) of actual Fender Amps. More info here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=82017

Although Garageband & Logic effects are pretty darn good, I'd like to stick to what my amp can produce if possible!