Recording WWDC Quicktime Stream

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by utilizer, Jun 24, 2003.

1. utilizer macrumors regular

Anyone know how to do it? Let me know. This is the best show I've ever seen and I've been watching these things online since the Cube was introed!

2. GigaWire macrumors 6502

get a mini-tripod and a camera. set them up per their instructions. Go to apple.com, and pull up the keynote stream. Establish your framing, check focus, then press record. on the keynote QT box press play. Voila, your own copy of the keynote!

3. utilizer thread starter macrumors regular

Ha ha ha, :D

I'll just let someone else do that. I'm sure if I ever have the desire to see this keynote again one day, I'll just hit Apple up and they'd be more than happy to get it to me!

4. itmdramaguy macrumors newbie

I think that you can do this with QuickTime Pro. It is $29.99. The website says that you can:

Save movies from the web.
    Build a library of movies by saving them to your computer for playback any time.

I don't know if this is what you want but it worth a try. I do not have QTPro.

5. utilizer thread starter macrumors regular

I have QT Pro

Yup, I have QT 6.3 Pro, but it only saves the link and not streamed thru files. I would essentially have to download the entire thing and save it to my HD. I know how to save RealOne streamed files; Some Windows Media but not if it's DRMed; but I've never, ever figured out how save the source of streamed Quicktime files. I'm baffled, even as a web designer!!

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Re: I have QT Pro

Same. I've never come across a Real file I can't save, and I can get most WiMP files, but I too have never managed to download a streaming QuickTime file! It must be possible though, and I'm amazed that nobody's written a download too, because apparently the QuickTime Streaming Server is open source, why can't someone just look at the code and figure out how it works?

7. utilizer thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: I have QT Pro

Maybe I should write a program that will do this. :D I'd only sell it for 10 bucks probably!
    But in the meantime, I'm stumped! Target release date: Labor day!
    I don't know what I'll call it yet.

8. seesaw macrumors newbie

Apparently this command line client "openRTSP" should be able to save the stream to a QuickTime.mov

http://www.live.com/openRTSP/

Anybody had any luck in configuring/using it?

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: I have QT Pro

i thought all you had to do was wait until the thing downloads, then save the thing as a standalone file...or is that just for movies that aren't streamed...:confused:

10. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

You can't "wait" until the stream downloads. It is a stream, the viewer never keeps the whole file in memory or cache anywhere. A trailer is relatively small, compared to a 90 minute video stream. The total amount of data is very high. If my math is correct, it is about 26 MBs. Not really too much, but still alot. Apple has not built any tools that I know about to save a stream. I wish it were possible. I missed the WWDC live because I was in the Hospital attending the delievery of my new son. It would have been nice to download the video and watch it in the hospital later.

11. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

well.
    there is an app. called streamripper to rip Itunes radio stations and other stations as well.
    I bet there is a video real time ripper out there.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't find a binary, and can't get the source to compile :(

If someone gets a binary running, post it please!

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm just replying to my own post here :)

I got it to compile. No luck getting it to work, but I'll post the binary for anyone who wants it. Hopefully you just need the one file, I'll upload the whole directory if it doesn't work.

Never mind, there's a limit on how much you can upload. And a zipped version of openRTSP is more than twice the limit. If someone wants it, I'll stick it on a webserver.

On a related note, why can't you attach .sit files? "Valid file extensions: gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg pdf"

14. vniow macrumors G4

Just put a .zip extention on it or something and post it here if you can (has to be under 100k).

15. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

How about 'curl', which is already there on Jaguar, or 'wget' which isn't, but should be easy to get. I've had better luck with 'wget' as far as capturing streams. I've only used this approach for mp3 radio streams; it works flawlessly. In fact, I have an old PC laptop with RH Linux on it that I use to play internet radio into our home's sound system. I recently set up a 'cron' job to run 'wget' and capture a 4 hour radio show every Sunday night for my wife.

Anyway, 'wget' is another GNU utility. If you have a URL, it will capture the stream. Although, like I said, I haven't tried it for QT.

16. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sorry. I tried it, and it doesn't work (curl, wget). After a couple URL redirects, you end up with "rtsp://......." which is not supported by either of the commands above.

17. dstorey macrumors 6502a

well I guess Apple don't let you to dl streams cause thats what content providerds want...often they'll post a stream instead of a download so that it protects their interlectual property..such as a band that I did a web site for..they wanted the user to be able to sample their work but not be able to take it and listen to it any time. If the player just let the user save it, then no content providers would want to use QT.