Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fokust1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
y
im new to this forum for a recent problem. last thursday i think i deleted the trash that somehow had an important file accidently put in it with about 200 files in it. most were art files and some photos from different programs. all are very important to me though. any advice and help would be very much appreciated. what can i do if anything???
thankx

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Listen to MJ. Turn the machine off and do not restart it until you are ready to recover. Every minute you operate the machine, there is a larger chance of OSX overwriting the file with other data, and you will be pooched.

Make sure you have a storage device to recover the files to - a Firewire drive, a large capacity USB memory keychain drive.
Ideally, if you have a bootable firewire drive you will boot from that to do the recovery from, otherwise, once you have DataRescue CD in your hands, you can boot from that.

PS: Welcome to MacRumors. Next post, make sure you use a desctiptive thread title. An undifferentiated "Help" title has been used 2,188 times now.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I also thought turning it off was the right thing to do, but in another thread on this, neocell adviced to not turn it off, but leave it on and not touch it until the recovery proceedure is about to start... I'll see if I can find the thread...

Edit: Here's the other thread.

fokust1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
y
thankx everyone im tryin

thankx again im tryin just dont wanna spend 99$
any other options? cheaper?

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
I found a free trial of Data Rescue Link.
Sadly it won't rescue your files but it will tell you if they are still on your computer. Which would tell you if it worth bothering going any further.

I also found PhotoRescue Link.

If these aren't to your liking just google for it. That's what I did. :)

Hope you get your data back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.