Recover deleted history (safari)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by perry245, Mar 16, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

I think my girlfriend is removing browsing history from my macbook, I would like to know what she has been going on.

Is there any way for me recover deleted browsing history? or is there a way that I could save the history to a location and even if she removes the history it will still save?

Any help would be good.

2. macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'd get a new girlfriend, if you trust her that little.

3. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if you use time machine it could be saved if you restore

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So I'm guessing you don't feel she has a right to privacy. Any good relationship is built on trust.

5. simsaladimbamba

Is your birthday or some kind of anniversary coming up?

6. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you think shes looking a large dong p0rn, its usually the girl worried the guy is looking at p0rn.

7. macrumors 68030

Don't forget to regularly check her phone, that's where all the bad things happen!

Safari has all sorts of caches to boost it's performance, e.g. when swiping through the history. I don't think all of those caches are deleted when you delete the history. Have a look at

/Users/yourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Webpage Previews

The folder is hidden, so use the terminal or type it in the address field. Have fun spying on your GF.

8. macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly Safari has a history.plist file that doesn't get deleted when the history is cleared from the History menu. It's located in the Home/Library/Safari folder and you can view the history with OmniOutliner.

9. macrumors P6

-aggie-

plist file doesn't have history info, only settings.

10. simsaladimbamba

The History.plist file does contain the address one has visited.

11. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is a /Users/yourusername/Library/Safari/History.plist file that does have history in it which is not cleared when you clear your history. It's different than the com.apple.Safari.plist file.

12. macrumors P6

-aggie-

So much for not letting the OP know that! It'll be interesting to see his next thread.

At least I learned something today.

13. simsaladimbamba

Really? Now I have to read on FacialBuuk of another lovely couple calling it quits, because the male component could not keep his mouth shut when confronting the female component of the relationship, why she was hiding his birthday present (foursome with two easy lesbians) until his birthday even arrived. I hate those news, it makes me sad to read of such hardship. No wonder BBC did elect to not report news from there, it would make the whole mankind depressed about the human condition. I mean, I can understand war and murder and all those funny accidents, but not when someone is invading someone else's privacy. There is a reason, why Lamebook exists, and I hate that site with gusto, it has me kept for days in its shackles, and the reason is reporting about those failed relationship statuses. BBC here I come for some light soup entertainment. Thank you heavens.

14. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I hadn't planned to reveal that to the OP, as I don't like the idea of assisting someone in violating someone else's privacy, but if the information is going to be put out there anyway, at least it should be accurate.
    The secret to understanding and enjoying simsaladimbamba's posts is large quantities of Patrón Silver! :D

15. macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think simsaladimbamba is drunk posting again. :)

16. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It works perfectly well with drunk reading!

17. simsaladimbamba

Send me some, and your credit card details, and I might understand them too. One day, one day.

18. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sure! My credit card details are: 3 3/8" x 2 1/8", black, plastic, with a magnetic stripe on the back. Enjoy!

19. simsaladimbamba

Inch again? When do you Americans learn to use proper units? I guess we, the mighty Europe, have to invade you again. And again. And again. The third time is the charm.

20. macrumors P6

-aggie-

We don't need our size measurements to look bigger. Quite a difference between 8 inches and 8 cm.

:)

21. simsaladimbamba

Tell that to John Long Silver. He was glad, when CCC finally converted " to cm.

22. macrumors regular

If you trust her that little, why not just password protect your MB and not let her access it?

Methinx you need to get yourself a new girlfriend...or stop being so paranoid...one of the two.

23. macrumors 68030

Does "Reset Safari" remove everything?

24. macrumors 68020

Not if you're French. You just surrender and be done with it :p

25. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it appears to.