Recover deleted mailboxes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iphotonews, Sep 6, 2004.

1. iphotonews macrumors newbie

I was having problems receiving mail from one of my accounts. I called tech no-support to see what the problem was. We went through a variety of different fixes and nothing worked. The tech no-support guy decided that deleting all of the mailboxes, including my main one, and re-enter all of the information was a plausible solution.

Well now I have completely lost ALL of my emails and still can't recieve mail from one of my accounts. Is there any way to recover the deleted mailbox or messages? I looked in ~/libaray/mail/ and only see the new mailbox I recreated. I'm using Mail 1.3.9. Oh yeah, if anyone knows why you can send but recieve email please let me know.

Help
    Brian

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....the person that told you to delete the mailboxes and did not say to back them up first is an idiot. Unless you have a backup of them, or you have the account set to leave messages on the server, you are out of luck. As for the receive mail problem...try to narrow down where the problem is...try some simple things like repair permissions, or try a different mail client like Thunderbird to see if for some reason Mail.app is causing a problem. Try creating another user account on the computer and seeing if the mail account works there, if it does then you have something else wrong in your computer account like a bad pref file.....oh yeah!

3. iphotonews thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks duff,
    I was afraid of that. The tech no-support suggested purchasing a p.c. to be more compatiable with cableone.net.

Thanks for the info. Lesson learned, back up the mail.

Thankx,
    Brian

4. Jbrousseau DallasJay

recover deleted mailboxes -HELP

I too was the victom of Applecare advice when asking for help troubleshooting a Mac Mail problem. Tech suggested deleting account and simply resetting server info. No mention, not even a hint, this was going to delete all email boxes, and that I'd better back up before attempting.

I HAVE to recover those mailboxes, period. The only other time I've been in this situation with OSX, the only reasonable recovery was via VirtualLab. It worked to recover deleted camera raw files (.DCR) perfectly - as if by majic. However, you need to be able to specify exactly what you are tyring to undelete. Applecare couldn't tell me exactly what the deleted mailboxes from each account might be named.

Any clues what the codes or file names for mailboxes are after they are deleted?

Any other suggestions for reasonable ($) recovery attempts?

~JB

5. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Whoever you talked to is a complete moron. I have cableone.net internet and it works fine on my Mac, in fact, we have Cableone.net at work as well, and it works better on my Mac at home then it does on the PC's at work. My advice is to NEVER call the tech support of an internet provider if you have a Mac unless you know for a fact that they have dedicated Mac support such as Earthlink. Most of the time they don't know what their talking about when it comes to Mac's and they'll just make things worse because they don't know what their doing.
    OK sorry for the Rant.
    As for not being able to receive mail, but you can send, I'd double check the password, make sure that it wasen't acidently typed with caps or something like that. I've done that before.