"Recovered files" folder in trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SteveC, Jun 6, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Hopefully an easy question for the "veteran" MR members here... :)

Why do I occasionally have a "Recovered files" folder in my trash when I turn my computer on? I always shut down the computer properly. I have, however, had to force shut down twice in the last few weeks, and some people on MR told me a force shut down could corrupt the OS and require a reinstallation of Tiger.

I now wonder if I need to reinstall Tiger. I have a "Recovered files" folder in my trash almost every time I startup.

How can I check and see if my system is corrupted?
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    If I send people pictures over iChat, and then restart (immediately or next day), I ALWAYS have recovered files in the trash. They are folder for file inside that folder for every person I have sent a picture to. The files themselves are not pictures, just an unopenable file. I've gotten used to just emptying the trash on start-up, but I am also wondering why this happens? I know this is when the recovered files appear too, 100% sure. I didn't upgrade to Tiger, I did a clean install! Thanks!
  3. 4God macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2005
    My Mac
    Me Too

I have the same situation, although only once in a while.
  4. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    I plan to reinstall OS X and see if they stop showing up in the trash. However, I hope someone here can provide a reason as to why it happens. :)
  5. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Thanks for the link. Seems the developer is the one I'd be most likely to consider an accurate source. It's odd that it's setup the way it is now though, if it *is* intentional and not caused by system problems.