Recovered files folder showing up in trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by knome, Oct 27, 2006.

1. knome macrumors 6502

knome

Well i don't have any recovery software installed on my computer nor do i have an app that would do anything like this in a long time. But almost every other time my computer is on a folder called "Recovered Files" shows up in my trash can. It usually contains a few temp files and other files that i don't even recognize. Does anyone know why these files keep showing up in my trash can?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Don't worry, it's quite normal.

It was like this back in the pre-OS X days, and it was reintroduced with Tiger.

It's just all the temp-files that OS X didn't quite know what to do with when you shut your machine down... :)

[Link]

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

This happens to me 95% of the time. It worries me a little because something isnt quite right. Theres no adverse problems caused by it as they are only temp files, still worries me a little though :(

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There are some applications that are worse than others. Dreamweaver is notoriously bad at cleaning up after itself. Another repeating offender is when you drag and drop files in Finder, especially over the network. And then, as mentioned in the article linked above, there's all those time an application (that's using some temp folder) is crashing, that will leave some recovered files in the Trash upon restart.

But, unless real important stuff ends up in the Recovered files folder (something I've never experienced, even if I - like you - get a brand new Recovered files folder in Trash on almost every restart), don't worry about it, just be glad OS X has nice cleaning procedures, and empty your Trash... :)

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The only app I can think of that might cause this is Synergy. Its 'on' all the time, I shutdown without actually quitting it. Maybe its Synergy having to dump the temps quickly?

BTW: Synergy is a little app that lets you control iTunes with global key commands no matter what app you are in. I cant imagine living without it.

http://wincent.com/a/products/synergy-classic/

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sounds like a potential culprit to me... ;)

And it should be completely harmless...

7. knome thread starter macrumors 6502

knome

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It could be any program really. I can only think of that one on my system that is most likely to cause the problem. The rest of the Apps i use are iLife and a couple of games which are all quite stable on OSX and less likely to dump temp files in the trash.

Dont worry about it too much, its not really a problem at all. :)

9. nickgwyn macrumors member

Software update

Mine only has one file, and it is something to do with software update.

That could either mean:
    - Apple Update (highly unlikely)
    - Microsoft Office (VERY likely)

The only reason I doubt it's Office is that I rarely run Office programs, yet this happens almost every-time I startup.

I will get the exact filename next-time I startup.