"Recovered Files" in trash after restarts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilotkid, Sep 12, 2006.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Everytime i restart my macbook or just turn it on from a complete shut down in the trash there are 1 or more folders in there called "recovered files". It doesnt happen when wakeing up from sleep just from restarts or shutdowns. What are these? Can i just delete them?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, you can feel free to empty your trash to get rid of them. It's a "bug" that used to exist in pre-OS X releases, but reared it's head again a little while ago. It's just some temporary files from that OS X is getting rid of upon reboot...you don't need them.

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thank you! Is there anyway to fix this "Bug"? will apple fix it in a software update?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nothing to worry about. It was normal in OS 9 and earlier. I kind of missed it in earlier versions of OS X, and was happy to see it reintroduced in 10.4.

Apple's explanation.

5. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! I'll just keep deleteing them...I guess its not that bad since i only restart my macbook about every 10 days or so...

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There's actually a program that I run that deletes the files every time I start up. It's called something along the lines of RecoverTrasher. Go search for it at MacUpdate and try it out. Works wonders.

7. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a