Recovering a hard drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by princealfie, Apr 19, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

hi folks,

I had a portable hard drive with some photos which I had been using with my Powerbook G4 at home. However, I connected it to my PC at work which has Windows XP. The Windows didn't recognize the hard drive at all. Then I reconnected it to my Powerbook G4 and the hard drive is not recognized anymore like it used to.

Any ideas on what is going on? :eek:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the drive formatted as FAT32? If not, go to Disk Utility and reformat it. This format-type will be recognised (and potentially written to) by both operating systems. :)

Of course, reformatting will lose your photos. Is this a problem?

3. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

The drive I have no clue as to what format it is... The photos are important however and using the drive's mechanism I can tell there are files on it. The photos are from a wedding shoot and I need to recover the files by the end of the week. Thus no reformatting of the drive is possible.

It's a Photo Harddisk... I can upload all of my CF cards straight onto a 20GB storage...

Frustrated!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Crap. Well, how unrecognised is it? What exactly happens when you plug it into the Mac? Maybe take a look at DiskWarrior in terms of rebuilding your external too. :)

5. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

the external hard drive is being charged by the usb but it doesn't pop up on the desktop at all. In fact, it's pretty much not even showing up in disk utility either :\