Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeannoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
I made a very important movie with Photo Booth today and the program accidentally crashed.
All I have left now is a corrupted .mov file that isn't playable.

I tried iMovie, VLC, Quicktime, Remo-Repair, Final Cut Pro and tried uploading it to youtube/vimeo. The only thing that worked was Treasured but they ask a $70 fee to repair a 10 minute movie.

Is there someone who is willing to help me to recover it please?
( sorry if this is the wrong part of macrumors to post it in )

Last edited:

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Have you checked your TIME MACHINE?

That won't be much use if the video got corrupted while the programm crashed. Time machine wouldn't have any chance to make a backup...

To the OP: I could give it a shot. Considering it's PhotoBooth, the file won't be too huge. I'll probably PM you about an exchange place.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Sorry. I took a look at your file, and there is hardly anything you can do.

Video containers (in this case the .mov file) contain the video and audio codec and then a lot of extra information on the used codecs, resolution, bitrates, framerates and so on. Most of this metadata (in the case of h.264, it is called "moov atom" if you want to google for it) has not been written into the file in the end, since your software crashed.

In some cases, such data can be recovered if you have a reference file from the same camera. Some tools can then just copy the needed moov atom to the corrupt file. But in the case of the iSight camera, the framerate, bitrate and stream information is not fixed but differs greatly from file to file, and I wasn't able to get any useful results.

You can send the file to the online ressource you mentioned and they probably will be able to repair it for $70. But they will have to (and that's why it's so expensive) manually analyze the chunk of data and create a moov atom from scratch. This takes time and years of experience.

Sorry, but I don't think there will be a way around this. :(

jeannoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Sorry. I took a look at your file, and there is hardly anything you can do.

Video containers (in this case the .mov file) contain the video and audio codec and then a lot of extra information on the used codecs, resolution, bitrates, framerates and so on. Most of this metadata (in the case of h.264, it is called "moov atom" if you want to google for it) has not been written into the file in the end, since your software crashed.

In some cases, such data can be recovered if you have a reference file from the same camera. Some tools can then just copy the needed moov atom to the corrupt file. But in the case of the iSight camera, the framerate, bitrate and stream information is not fixed but differs greatly from file to file, and I wasn't able to get any useful results.

You can send the file to the online ressource you mentioned and they probably will be able to repair it for $70. But they will have to (and that's why it's so expensive) manually analyze the chunk of data and create a moov atom from scratch. This takes time and years of experience.

Sorry, but I don't think there will be a way around this. :(

I guess I have no other option then. Thanks a lot for trying though :D

elbert12

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Hi jeannoth,:cool:
Try mov repair tool to repair your corrupt .mov file. Few days before I facing the same problem like you, to overcome it I used mov repair tool. It is the finest software to repair mov quicktime. To use this tool click here.:)

AeroQTech

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
I guess I have no other option then. Thanks a lot for trying though :D

Hi jeannoth,

When a Photo Booth recording is interrupted before completion (for a number of reasons, like battery failure or lack of disk space), the resulting file is unplayable. In most cases, you can recover the movie following a few easy steps:

• Find the damaged file in the ~/Pictures/Photo Booth folder. This is usually the most recent file, and the one that you cannot open
  • Check the size of the file to evaluate the duration of the recorded clip: Sometimes Photo Booth crashes or stops recording well before you notice it, and the damaged movie file contains only the first seconds or minutes of the "show"
For further details take a look at How to repair a corrupt Photo Booth movie

Besides of all already said in this thread you could try also try to diagnose the file using MP4repair.org. Is free and is worth to try.

--Javier

melodyann

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2016
Hi jeannoth,

When a Photo Booth recording is interrupted before completion (for a number of reasons, like battery failure or lack of disk space), the resulting file is unplayable. In most cases, you can recover the movie following a few easy steps:

• Find the damaged file in the ~/Pictures/Photo Booth folder. This is usually the most recent file, and the one that you cannot open
  • Check the size of the file to evaluate the duration of the recorded clip: Sometimes Photo Booth crashes or stops recording well before you notice it, and the damaged movie file contains only the first seconds or minutes of the "show"
For further details take a look at How to repair a corrupt Photo Booth movie

Besides of all already said in this thread you could try also try to diagnose the file using MP4repair.org. Is free and is worth to try.

--Javier
[doublepost=1471561326][/doublepost]This thread was helpful a bit, but the remo repair was no help however mp4repair.org fixed it but want like 60$...
any sites or software that can repair it free???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.