recovering data from dead imac os9?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 1rottenapple, Mar 4, 2005.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Hey kids,
    I need to recover music from a dead iMac, made in 2000. The problem is it is an OS 9. It turns on but the OS doesn't go anywhere, and the person (whom I'm helping) doesn't have the recovery disk. How can I recover the data using my ibook with a g4 osx? I'n not so great with computers so can you all spell it for my like a 4 yr. old?

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Someone can help explain what I'm about to say but you COULD be able to remove the Hard drive and put it in an external "custom" case and make it USB2/firewire and boot off of OSX to that HD I THINK... I'm not sure - if the HD is dead then no luck there...

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....without knowing the specifics of the iMac model I can't say for sure this will work - it needs an iMac with Firewire.

- connect the iMac to your Mac with a firewire cable
    - turn on the iMac while holding the "T" key on the iMac's keyboard

The iMac's hard drive should then appear on your Mac's desktop and you can copy....oh yeah!

4. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Do the 2000 imacs have the firewire option?

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...some of the models released in 2000 did and some did not...can you find out from the person if it does, or which model it is specifically (color, speed etc)...this data sheet from Apple has the specs for the summer 2000 iMacs....oh yeah!

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

If it is a slot-loading iMac, then yes it probably does come with firewire. The tray-loading iMacs do not have firewire, nor does the 350MHz Slot-loading iMac.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

More information needed re: "OS Doesn't go anywhere"

If the machine gives the opening chime but does not light the screen up, or the screen remains light gray, it may be the PRAM battery. $8 to replace.

If not that, Get ahold of an OS9 bootable CD, prefeably and install CD. Restart the machine with CD in, holding down the "C" key on the keyboard. If the hard drive shows up on the desktop below the CD icon, chances are good you can recover.

Run Disk First Aid on the hard drive. IF DFA doesn't report drastic problems, reinstall OS9 using the "Clean install" option, assuming you have located an OS9 install CD