Recovering from Audacity crash?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elbirth, Apr 19, 2006.

1. elbirth macrumors 65816

For one of my classes we have to do a podcast and my group was working on recording it tonight. We were recording directly into Audacity and about 25 minutes into it, it decided to crash.

I hadn't saved anything, but I do have all of the tiny .au files that Audacity had in it's temp folder. I've been searching for over an hour now and can't find a definitive way of effectively recovering things... it'll be nearly impossible to sit here and go through several hundred small files and piece it back together.

Can anyone offer any help at all?

2. elbirth thread starter macrumors 65816

Just a little update in case anyone sees this in their search for something similar...

I was unable to find a really quick and simple solution, but what I was able to do was copy the temporary files to my desktop first- they were in the /tmp directory and being new to OS X, I couldn't figure out how to navigate there in the finder, so I used the terminal and copied the files out that way.
    Anyway, after getting them in a folder on my desktop, I saw that there were hundreds of 1MB .au files, each only a matter of seconds long (and there was over 34 minutes of audio recorded). Since for some reason they were in no particular order, fitting the puzzle together would be insanely hard, so I went to list view in the Finder and sorted by date modified so it put them in chronological order... now it was as "simple" as opening each in Audacity, copying the contents and pasting it to the end of a new Audacity file one after the other until all 34 minutes of the lost audio was pieced back together. This took several hours but it was worth it, since I highly doubt we'd be able to recreate what we did in our first attempt. The spontaneity of it all was irreplaceable.

Now it's just a matter of splicing up the audio into its segments, adding some music and stingers in Garageband and getting it ready for delivery for the assignment.