recs for a Mac OS X primer/reference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by beethovengirl, May 5, 2004.

1. beethovengirl macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2004
    I currently own a 4+ year old clamshell iBook running OS 9 and will be buying a new iBook soon. :) So, I'm seeking recommendations on what kind of OS X primer/reference to buy...?

I've used a friend's PB running OS X, so I know basic things, but I don't feel as comfortable as I do with OS 9 [it took me awhile to figure out how much RAM was being utilized, for example]. Also, I have some unix background, not so much in programming, but in basic use. I routinely use commands like "ls -lt | more" on my school unix acct, for example.

Thanks for any suggestions! :)
  2. jackc macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    David Pogue's The Missing Manual is great unless you're looking for really advanced stuff. It even has some basic UNIX commands.
  3. beethovengirl thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2004
    What do you mean by "really advanced"? I'm not going to be writing shell scripts or anything, but, as I said, I'm computer literate enough to know what "ls -lt | more" means...

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    If you want a good, readable reference that covers the features of OS X, Pogue's 'Missing Manual' is the one to get. It is not an in-depth guide to Unix, Applescript, programming, etc., though it does introduce each of the subjects.

My advice is to head down to your local mega-bookstore and sit down with a copy for 30 minutes or so. You'll probably end up taking it home.