recs for free or inexpensive math app that lets you define variables?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beethovengirl, Feb 3, 2007.

1. beethovengirl macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2004

When I was a student, I frequently used Mathematica and am accustomed to the notebook format in which I can easily define variables. Now that I am no longer a student, I no longer have a license to use Mathematica. Are there any free or inexpensive mathematical applications that let you define variables to do relatively simple calculations [I don't need something nearly as powerful as Mathematica for solving integrals or manipulating matrices] -- basically just a scientific calculator with a notebook and ability to define variables?

By the way, I can use Mathematica on my husband's computer, and I'm struggling with the PrintPrecision function. It's set at 6 but for our taxes we need 7 digits, and I can't figure out a non-awkward way to fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks! :)
  2. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    I can't answer your first question, but as for PrintPrecision, you can change it in the global options in Preferences - just search for PrintPrecision (it is in Formatting options, Expression formatting, display options), and change it to 7. It is then retained for future Mathematica sessions.
  3. xappeal macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2005
    Brisbane - Australia
    This would do it:

I think the Mac version has the smae functions as the Windows, try it out anyway, it's free.