Recurring Dreams

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gwuMACaddict, Oct 5, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Anyone have any interesting recurring dreams?

Used to have one where i was swimming underwater, olympic sized pool. Trying to get from one end to the other without taking a breath. Easy, right? Well not when the wall kept moving further and further away!! ARGH! Used to be so frustrating because it would wake me up because I had been holding my breath in my sleep! hahaha

Anyone else have funny/ recurring dreams? :D

2. katchow macrumors 6502

Anyone ever incorporate your alarm into your dream as something else?

"Oh nevermind that beeping, its just the neighbors playing video games."

I think my brain creates all kinds of scenerios to keep me in bed :rolleyes:

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There's three recurring dreams that have bedevilled me in my life but I'll try and keep them short.

1. As a kid, a dream about being abandoned in a darkened city street. Scared the **** out of me for about a month -- not long after, my parents started separation proceedings.

2. Trying to get somewhere on London's underground, staring at a tube map and discovering new lines and stations. Obviously a life direction theme...

3. Going back to New Zealand, everything looks beautiful, sometimes visiting the old family home only to discover that I am unable to return to London for various reasons -- no planes, no money etc.

Recurring dreams are a sign that something is trying to tell you something. :)

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Common dreams...

Waking up, going to work, going through most of the day. Then I actually wake up.

Work calling in the middle of the night.

Playing Poker in a shack in the bayou with Moses, Elijah and Elisha.

Sitting on the beach when Noah comes up in the ark and asks for directions.

5. dcv macrumors G3

Yeah I have a recurring dream where all my teeth fall out. I'm literally spitting them out.

apparently this isn't uncommon and it does mean something... just can't remember what :confused:

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you were Italian, it would mean something about money. But the key is to closely examine the emotions associated with the dream itself.

I'm a firm believer that much dream symbolism is a private and unique vocabulary, not the universal language that dream 'interpretation' books often portray.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

1. Dream that I am in a marathon, 10K or some other road race and cannot move no matter how hard I try. Almost like being paralyzed.

2. I used to have many dreams about yelling at my father, having arguments etc.

3. Used to have flying dreams a good bit.

The rest is X-rated.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And so? :p

You know it's been a slow day here. We all need a good laugh to cheer us up. :D

9. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it's been a slow week or two lately!

10. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

In some dreams, I would have to scream, but for some reason I could never "hear" my screams. Usually occurs during a monster or very large animal that is about to attack.

At some point I would like to not wake up right before I hit the ground during dreams where I am falling.

The loosing teeth dreams occurred when I was not all that great about brushing everyday during my young years. My habits quickly changed after a few of those.

11. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

When I was younger, I had two kinds of scary recurring nightmares.

1. It would just be a normal dream, and then the mood would change and strange noises would start. I would start to feel scared, and then out of the corner of my eye, I would see it. A freaky-looking clown. I would try to run away, but no matter where I went, it would get closer. Until it got me, and then I'd wake up.

2. Similar situtation, but with a person coming out of no where and then turning into a vampire/monster right before getting near me.

I actually got rid of the first dream by taking control one night and not waking up when the clown came close. I ended up talking to it, and joined its club of monsters. Was fun, but the dreams disappeared after that.

Second one happens now and then. Lately I've been having very introspective dreams...

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'ld offer to swap but a Belgian court says thats grounds for divorce and I think my wife would says its grounds for worse...

;)

Other dreams...

Running along and then lifting my feet up and I just fly.

Swimming around under water and then I need to breathe and then I start breathing the water.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also have recurring dreams.

When I was young, I was falling. Would wake up just before hitting the surface. It actually caused a jump on the bed just when waking up.

Some are just weird. The majority have to do with work.

14. Sogo macrumors 6502

:( I don't have dreams very often. But i have had dreams where my teeth would fall out.

As a teenager, early teens, i would have dreams where i would gain conciousness. I would be dreaming and realize i am in a dream while still dreaming. But instead of having control, i would lose it and it would just become a nightmare. either monsters would come out or i would die somehow; A truck turning over, a guy randomly shooting me, a building falling on me, and maybe a nife being thrown at me.

One time I had a dream where i was playing pokemon on the gameboy, and i just before i entered a building i realized i was dreaming. Then my character kept going up the stairs, up and up and up, but i couldnt stop him. I don't know why i was scared but i was. After any of these dreams i would feel or sense myself in bed but with absolutly no control over my body. I would try to move but nothing would happen. I then would wake up in the possision i sensed myself in; laying on my stomach, just about to fall off the bed, my legs turned over. I would even know how the covers were arraged before i wake up.

After a good several dozen of those, i have taken steps to not dream. And by that i mean i deprive myself of sleep. Go to bed real late and then wake up 5 hours later. Every now and then i would get a good nights rest, out of need.

15. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I believe there is actual scientific evidence for that. When you dream, your brain usually shuts down the functions that allow motion (so you don't run off doing things in your sleep), thus why you can't scream...essentially, you're paralyzed.

Now, has anyone ever had the ability to wake themselves out of a dream? I've managed to do it before (the easiest way is to find an something absolutely impossible in the context of the dream). Only problem was once I only got "halfway" out of the dream and I couldn't get up or speak, though I was seeing the real world.

Even freakier, one time my mother had a dream of nothing...just total darkness, no sound or anything, yet she was dreaming. Of course, she's had premonitions as well, one of which saved our family's lives.

16. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I have a few recurring dreams, but moreso a recurring theme. Let's just say I die in most of my dreams.

Surprisingly enough, though, last night I dreamt that I was base jumping and skydiving and all that good stuff and I didn't die! I didn't even come close!

17. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Cosmic... Mine was me being inside a rolling barrel, and a cliff at the end... I'd also wake up jumpy.... Damn you Donkey Kong!

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

When I was kid and I'd go visit my grandparents, I frequently had nightmares about falling off a cliff. At some point (when I was older) I realized that the bed I slept on at their house was a good bit higher off the ground than my bed at home, and I think that probably had something to do with it.

As an adult, I don't think I've had any specific recurring dreams, although when I'm under stress I tend to have more nightmares. A common theme of those nightmares is that I'm witnessing something bad happening and I can't do anything about it, and I wake myself up saying "No! No!". It really freaks my wife out, whereas I usually just go back to sleep. ;)

19. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I used to have a couple. One was pretty freaky, the other was terrifying. Firstly, the freaky one. I would run and jump down my stairs and right before I'd hit the ground I would wake up. Now the terrifying one, I would be outside and running from either a bear, wolf or werewolf and I would run as fast as I could, get inside and close the door, but the door would just swing open the other way. Incredibly freaky.

Thankfully I haven't had either dream in many, many years.

20. Lau Guest

1. I used to dream about a massive iron chasing me down the hallway and almost flattening me, then I'd wake up.

2. I dreamt about a really spooky slow moving procession down my street. It was loads of cars, and those American Indian wagons, and trucks and stuff, but they were all black, and it was raining and a thunderstorm, and the first time, I swear I woke up and it was actually a thunderstorm and that freaked me out. I had it a few times, but not the waking up and a thunderstorm part. It was one of those dreams that gave me the chills though.

3. I, to this day, have dreams about having to do hugely complicated journeys of trains, planes, buses etc, and never quite making it on time, and variations of the 'running but not being able to move' ensues. Hugely stressful dreams, but funnily enough I really enjoy traveling, and particularly by train, plane or bus....

Also, does anyone else get those dreams where whilst you're in it, you think "oh, this is the same place I dreamt about before" or " this is a recurring dream", but when you wake up and think about it you realise you hadn't ever dreamt of that place before. It's odd, because not only do you recognise you're in a dream whilst you're in it, you're having false memories of dreams you had before.

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I dreamt I was an army tank slowly treading inside a concrete pool the size of the Hoover Dam basin. The pool was shallow and empty. My mission was to fill it up with water. There were other tanks around me all trying to fill up the huge pool as well.

Next thing I knew, I woke up to find I wetted my bed. :eek:

22. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Yeah, I read somewhere that this is the second most reoccuring dream. Don't remeber the first, probally being naked. I use to had the teeth falling out one. I use to spit out teeth, wake up, check my teeth, it would be loose, go to the bathroom, it would fall out, I would wake up, I would check my....

over and over again. I think one day I had 5 iterations. Pissed me off. Teeth falling out means you are worried about things you can't control.

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Your member name suits your post nicely.

24. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I keep having a nightmare that I'm back in high school. I don't think anything bad ever happens in these dreams, but I always wake up in a panic. Urgh, I feel as though I'm being haunted by that awful place :eek:

I've got my iPod hooked up to my stereo. Usually I set it up to shuffle through the songs in my library, but sometimes I accidently set it to shuffle albums. Anyway, one morning I had the Bob Dylan Live 1966 album come on. In my dream, I was in the audience at a concert that took place 20 years before I was born! :D

25. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

There's only one dream that I can immediately recall having more than once. In it I am fighting a robotic insect in the middle of a large field of yellowed grass. I think I dreamt this three times when I was young.

_Emerson