Red Bull set to take over Minardi

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Sep 5, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hopefully it'll get Stoddart out of the sport as well. :cool:

Scott Speed and Liuzzi would be a formidable partnership, with massive potential for the future, as well as the obvious appeal for U.S. motorsport fans.

Rinky dink link

Thoughts?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Bizarre. They'll probably have to keep the Minardi name etc. if Stoddart gets his own way. Is a team even allowed to have four cars?

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

It'll be 2 Red Bull teams, I recall reading something about it being called 'Red Bull America' or something like that, to help promote the brand in the U.S. and of course having someone like Scott Speed in a team called 'Red Bull America' would do wonders for brand but also the sport in general over there.

Now, the interesting bit would be as to whether they could use the same cars as Red Bull Racing? there's a rule, which I can't remember off the top of my head... but along the lines that you can't sell a chassis to another team (remember Ferrari and Sauber last season and their reported similarities), however... Red Bull would be running both teams, so would they be allowed to use the same chassis over 2 teams?

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

COOL.

Stoddart is worthless except for comic relief, I wouldn't mind seeing him out.

Liuzzi and Speed...PLEASE do it!

I personally would like to see Red Bull become a truly competitive team - they've had a good start but I'm hoping they will be regular podium contenders in the near future

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Red Bull++ :D
    Stoddard--

Also, I COMPLETELY forgot about the GP yesterday :mad:

6. ecche macrumors regular

I sure hope so. It would be a shame to have to throw away my Minardi-T-Shirt....

7. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I'm not trying to start a flamewar but I had a quick question for you F1 guys. And I figure anyone who would recognize the title of the tread would be an F1 fan.

Do you like the cars and the technology of F1 or the actual racing aspect or both?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Both for me, although probably a bias towards the tech side of things in recent years considering the pretty pathetic racing we've been shown.

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'm sorry i wont drink ANYTHING with turine in it, ewww.

11. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

If it helps Minardi move a bit further up the grid then this has to be a good thing. More competition, even if its in the middle of the grid, is very welcome. However, it'll be a shame for the two Dutch lads if they lose their seats for next year. They've been doing a good job in a shocking car, but I can't see any free seats.

Have Red Bull Racing moved to Bridgestone for next year? If not they'll get some good data to compare having a team in each tire camp.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Goodbye Stoddart, we won't miss you...

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

looks like Red Bull finally solved their "not enough driver seats" problem...

interesting is that next year Minardi will be allowed to compete with 10 cyl 3 liter engines and the competition has to use 8 cyl 2.4 liter engines ... i won't be surprised if Minardi will end up with this years red bull material and be competitive for once ;)

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

but maybe now that will change (and i think it should) and minardi will also use the 8 cylinders engines (i.e. ferrari ones)

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

No... they're staying on Michelins.

16. derbladerunner macrumors 6502

Does any of you care for the Minardi name and heritage ?

Read these stories about minnows turning into heroes...

http://www.grandprix.com/gt/gt00223.html
    http://www.atlasf1.com/2001/aus/preview/doolittle.html

Please sign the petition to save the Minardi name here:

http://www.forzaminardi.com/petition/petition.php

ForzaMinardi.com has learned that Minardi's new owners, Red Bull, consider renaming the team. This would mean that 20 years of F1 history would be lost.

Whether you are a Minardi fan or not, you should sign this petition to keep Minardi in F1.

Minardi has fought against the odds for more than 20 years and has deserved its place in F1. Turning it into yet another racing acronym would make F1 lose yet another great character.

More info at: http://www.forzaminardi.com/

17. derbladerunner macrumors 6502

Saw this only after I posted my reply above.

Well, at least you MUST sign the petition I mentioned above :)

Save the Minardi name in F1:

We have close to 5000 signatures (bogus sigs are reviewed and get kicked out from time to time...)

To learn more about the initiative to save the Minardi name, see here:

MINARDI FANS AIM TO SAVE NAME
    http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34072

Minardi fans declare war
    http://www.planet-f1.com/features/editorial/story_20947.shtml

Please support us, sign and spread the word and the link !

As Mac owners (I too own Macs, 4 of them to be precies ) you should know what fighting against the odds in a PC world means :)

18. derbladerunner, Sep 15, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

derbladerunner macrumors 6502

If any of you has a sweet spot for Minardi (I know there are a lot of people with design skills here):

Can you help produce an animated GIF banner for the petition ?

We intend to create 2 banners to help the cause and link to the ForzaMinardi.com petition:

- Banner 468 x 60 pixels
    - Button 125 x 125 pixels

As you can see, we are not graphic designers...I posted a preview one of the ForzaMinardi.com members did to this post.

Text could be like this...(just an idea)

It only takes YOU 1 minute
    to save 20 years of F1 history

(refresh)

(Minardi lion logo) - Save the Minardi name in F1 - Click here !

(refresh)

(Minardi lion logo) - Sign the Minardi F1 petition - Click here !

(longer refresh, loops again)

The Minardi Lion Logo can eg. be found here:

http://www.minardiusa.com/images/MINARDI_LION_LOGO.jpg

19. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

so what happens when people realize that red bull racing uses michelin tyres and red bull rookie has bridgestones? is one of them forced to switch over, or will there be some kind of super-tight nda's involved? that'd look bad in regard to the tyre competition if the main team and the junior team for example have a joint test session some day...

and how on earth can fia possibly succeed in forcing the rookie team to design their own cars? if they're both red bulls, then they probably have surprisingly common chassis designs, just the way there was once a year-old ferrari running on the track without ferrari colors ;) what is the regulation anyway - are the teams only expected to BUILD their cars by themselves or do they also have to design them in-house?

current red bull engines are definetely seeing some more use next year...

oh, well... whatever makes them able to compete with the rest of the low-end teams is fine with me. it's so embarassing to see them being lapped so often. (in my opinion, there should be a rule of having to retire the race once being lapped by 3 times. that'd be like having to qualify in 107% time, but for a race.)

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Amazing to think too - until recently (the last 2 or three seasons) Minardi had never actually finished last in the Constructor's Championship! That, in spite of working on a shoe-string budget in comparison to the others.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't think there's a rule against running different cars on the same team, but I thinkthe two Red Bull Teams will be just that - two seperate teams, though with the same owner.

It might make for some interesting racing, with team orders possibly affecting up to four cars simultaneously?

22. derbladerunner macrumors 6502

We now have close to 10'000 signatures to save the Minardi name...

Help us hit the 10'000.

Any F1 fan with a sense for F1 heritage and real sportsmanship should sign this petition.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Dude, stop spamming that damn link. The three consecutive posts you made were enough.

As for saving Minardi's name, I could care less. Greater teams (*cough*Tyrrell*cough*) have come and gone.

24. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

I thought Scott already had signed with Red Bull (this years team) to drive the third car on Fridays...?

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah but i doubt he has a problem with updating that contract ;)