Red Button and the Dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arcobb, Feb 12, 2006.

1. arcobb macrumors regular

I have a weird bug on my mac (15-inch powerbook 1.67 GHz, 1 gig ram, 64 meg VRam)

About every 10th time I go to close a window by clicking on the red button in the top right hand corner it shrinks and goes to the dock instead. I've done the permisions thing and still it does it. Its not a huge deal, but I'm wondering if anyone else knows anything about it. Thanks!

2. sammyg macrumors newbie

I get that aswell sometimes.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The red button in the top left corner never fails to close the window it squats over. Are you positive you're not pressing the yellow one? Does the same thing happen if you use a shortcut rather than press the button? :)

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I noticed this too but I just always tell myself that I must have accidentally clicked the yellow button instead...nothing is wrong with my Mac...I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!:mad: :eek:

5. d.f macrumors regular

mee too

i get it also. it's anoying.

it's a bit like when you press the 'back' arrow, keep the cursor on it and try and press a second time. it doesn't register. you have to move the cursor off the arrow and back on the press it back a second time.

6. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Do you click it twice?
    If you do, that minimizes the window.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a good point Vader but double clicking the red button still shouldn't minimise. Double clicking the entire title bar should minimise though. :)

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

However, then you'd only have to misclick by a pixel or two, and not by an entire button. I far easier thing to do.

9. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Yes, but I have done this before, I click the red button, and upon it not instantly closing, I click it again, and then it minimizes. Maybe I am missing the button, but I don't think I am.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Are you using Mighty Mouse and try to click the button without lifting your finger off the right side of the mouse but it won't go instead ending up clicking the yellow button?.....or is that only me

Bless

11. arcobb thread starter macrumors regular

No, I'm not double clicking... its something new. I use the trackpad on the powerbook and I'm noticing it on a single click on the far left red button. My old 12-inch powerbook never did this and I use this powerbook very similer to how I use the old one.

Since I saw this post at about the double click thing, I've tried to make it do it and I have not been able to. If you click on the bar itself it will do it.

Side note... I was about to go to bed after sending an email... and I went to close the window and slurp... into the dock it went. :eek: It reminded me that I made this thread today and I just logged on to see if anyone had posted on it.