Red Camera Editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AndySutton, May 10, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

May 4, 2008

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the spec for editing 4k footage from the Red camera. With their new smaller camera coming in 2009 - I certainly plan to get it especially if it comes in at the RRP of $1700. Amazing.

A problem with the camera is it generates footage massive in comparison to HDV. The fact that the company are an offshoot of Oakley - the company behind the sunglasses.

I cant seem to find anywhere on the web which tells the spec of the edit machine required to cut 2k, 3k or IMax standard 4k.

2. macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
  3. macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    RED aren't an offshoot of Oakley. The only connection is that they share the same founder.

...and yeah, I don't think the RED SCARLET is going to be under $5,000 - despite Engadget saying it'd be around $3,000.

From the RED website:

They don't mention the iMacs, but the new ones (2.6Ghz and above) are perfectly capable of playing with current RED footage - with maxed out RAM, of course.

I wouldn't entertain editing 4k RED footage with less than 4Gb RAM, or a 2.6Ghz processor.

One of my clients has a current RED ONE, and it edits nicely in FCS on a new 2.6Ghz 17" MacBook Pro w/ 4Gb RAM.