Red Eye in pictures - camera question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Curren~Sea, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Curren~Sea macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

I know many of you here are savy with photography so I'd like to ask for some advice...

Redy Eye is an annoying phenomena that I'd like to stop experiencing! I've been using a digital camera for a few years and recently upgraded to a 5megapixel but still getting red eye.

I'm not a photographer or even a hobbyist, I just want good pictures of my family, especially my toddlers :)

First, is there anything I can do to avoid this with my Sony DSCW-50? I bought this camera because it takes pictures fast! And I was tired of missing so many great shots because of shutter lag with my old digital camera.

Second, if I were to get a digital SLR, would that fix red eye? And if so, what would be a good one for family shots?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I need to move this to the correct forum... sorry.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

the cause of redeye

long website short: It's caused by the flash. You can edit out red-eye. There's a neat little red-eye button in iPhoto.

A different camera won't prevent red-eye.

Maybe try a lighting source other than the onboard flash? When your kid is doing something cute, just turn on a few lights, turn off the flash, and go nuts. :)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Of course, some inbuilt/built-in flash units have a red eye mode which will minimise the problem.

SLRs can get around the problem by using an external flash mounted higher or having the flash angled away.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If people that you photographed didn't look directly into the lens of the camera, but at another part of the camera body, or at you, then this would likely minimize the chances of this happening. :)

Regardless, this problem is very easy and quick to correct.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Paper bags?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Surely his family isn't ugly enough to warrant wearing paper bags. ;)

But seriously, what are you talking about?

7. Miguey macrumors 6502

thats what i do in iPhoto and it gets rid of it. very useful imo

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I said nothing about anyone being ugly.

Well, it's a known fact that the light won't pass through paper bags so people won't show any red eyes, or for that matter, any facial expression. :D It's an inexpensive solution, but of course, for more fashionable people, you can use designer bags.

9. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Try deflecting the flash with a post-it note. Or maybe diffusing the flash with some tissue paper.

10. Curren~Sea thread starter macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. Sounds like I wouldn't really be fixing the problem by going to a fancy DSLR unless I always use a big ol' flash on it. I researched on dpreview.com and would probably go with either a Nikon or Canon although I like the DSLR's that also have the ability to capture video clips. But, for family shots I'm probably just as well off with my Sony DSCW-50. It takes great outdoor shots and the indoor shots aren't terrible, just the red eye that I can always edit out.

Thanks again.

[​IMG]