Red Faction on the MAC platform

Discussion in 'Games' started by Hapa Hanu, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Hapa Hanu macrumors newbie

Greetings Gentle Forum Wanderers,

Does everyone remember when Red Faction first came out? Loaded it up on your computer and played it with OS 9 on small video cards?

I do. It was OK.

But these days - on OS 10.4 and with larger video cards - Red Faction rocks! That is why I think RF deserves another look on today's MAC platform, especially the multiplayer aspect. It's fast action with the original Geo-Mod Technology!

The default multiplayer maps that came with RF are OK. But... the custom maps are way better. Wot? Don't know how to use custom maps? How MAC RF uses custom maps.

I figured out how to make some of these custom maps safe for the MAC to use - by converting .wav into .aif (IMA 4:1 format). No more crashes. I have available for download and immediate online multiplayer action three custom death match map packs which are MAC Sound Safe - details here: Dinner is Served Map Rotation.

The 24/7 multiplayer RF server, Dinner is Served, which hosts these custom maps is located in San Diego on a 100 mbit optical connection using Linux. I cannot say how it runs on Linux without a windoze emulator - I am sworn to secrecy - it is a unique feature. Also, to add more flavour to the server; the Geo Damage from the Fusion Rocket Launcher and Remote Charges is increased by thirty percent. :D

Ping Breakdown:
    Los Angeles - 30
    Greater North America - 50 to 120
    Europe - 180+
    Austrailia - 180+
    Asia - 240+

So does anyone play Red Faction anymore? I offer the following evidence:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I play almost everyday - from 10pm Central US time until 2am typically. Cuz I like it!

I would also like to mention that this server is free of clan related baloney and I have a crew of RCON players who are not afraid to ban cheaters.

Don't forget to update your game for best performance and the OS X version MAC RF v 1.2.

Cheers!

Hapa the Hanu

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Huh, I didn't even realize there was a Mac (not MAC) port of the game, much less for OS X. I only ever played it under Windows, wouldn't call it anything special IMO.

3. LaDirection macrumors 6502

It was one of the best first person shooter ever made. The sequel sucked.

4. Hapa Hanu thread starter macrumors newbie

No other game has Geo-Mod like RF does and the world of custom maps is what gives it vitality. ;)

RF2 was kind of a Red Herring...

Irregardless, I forgot to mention; available for immediate usage are a variety of custom weapons with MAC sound friendly files: MAC RF Custom Weaponry

Figure1. Toilet Brush by Red Frog in dm-Merry-Christmas by SWAMadcat and RED JUSTICE.
    [​IMG]

Figure2. Firestarter by Red Frog in dm-DAC Dust by Mostertman.
    [​IMG]

So anyhow, it's good action and good humour in Red Faction.

Otherwise I shall refrain from further SPAM in regards to RF.

Thanks,

Hapa the Hanu

5. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Red faction rocks. The first time I blew up a wall and entered a room I was hooked.