red hat now copying os x

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by jefhatfield, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Retired

jefhatfield

i just saw red hat 7.x's version of aqua

man, how could everybody legally copy apple and get away with it?

...some copying is flattery, but beginning with xp, there have been blatant ripoffs of our great os look

it's not very cute anymore:(

2. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

3. macrumors regular

iMac ripoff

What was the name of that blatant iMac ripoff that apple killed (rightfully)?

And compaq copied the iMac color idea awhile ago.

There's plenty of apple ripoffs by people who think they're stuff will be bought of the real thing. Losers.:mad:

4. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i just caught a peek in the school lab last night around 10 PM

they have bouncing icons in a lower dock just like os x and they have a scheme called os x in the display properties...it's stealing as far as i am concerned

this all hurts apple in the long run

i mean, also, what the heck is microsoft's "X" P about?

5. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't forget Macromedia's "MX" apps...

XP is supposed to stand for "experience" as far as I had heard...but why MS thinks that anyone will buy it for the experience is beyond me.:rolleyes:

6. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

come to think of it, i don't know if the dock icons bounced, i think they swelled like some "X" video:p

7. macrumors 603

And how would you know about that, jefhornyfield? :eek: :p :p :eek:

This is ridiculous. The peecee world continues to copy Apple to get some whatever they need...why can't there be a stronger protection against this type of thing?

8. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

9. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I thought that the XP stood for extra profit. :eek: :D

I actually had to struggle through heXPee last night *shudder* while working on a customer's computer. They had picked up some kind of worm/virus that had made office xp it's biatch. :eek: :D I had to wipe the computer and do a restore (ugh!). Becuase they were using the 'free' 6 month aohell account, they now have to go and get one of the free cd's (that you can't get away from no matter how hard you try) to reinstall that software. The restore didn't include that.

I have to say, it is far, far easier to navigate under win2k then heXPee... that's just a fact. OS X is even easier (again, more facts for the wicked).

BTW, since they got a dull, and called the dull support before me, they had removed their free copy of NAV (the dumb-**** tech on the phone told them to 'deactivate' NAV, but the person actually used the uninstall from the programs menu :rolleyes: ). I had them go out and purchase the full NAV (the included one was only good for 90 days) before I got there.

On the plus side, I walked away with payment for services rendered, and they were glad that I stayed as late as I did, and installed everything for them. I also advised them on the high speed options, and to take back the wireless router and card. They have a dull laptop, with no integrated NIC (it's under 2 years old). I suggested that they get a PC Card NIC for the laptop and the DSL/Cable Modem router/firewall with the 4-port switch. They will be using both computers in the same small office/room, so wireless will be useless for them. Plus, they want to transfer files between the two dull's, where the speed of the wired network will be appreciated.

10. macrumors demi-god

szark

11. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

12. macrumors member

It's probably not a theme developed by Redhat. If anything it might be Mosfet's Liquid or Acqua for KDE. It's not organizations copying the OSX look; it's individuals. The icons in the "dock" are probably application shortcuts in the KDE kicker, and the icons are enlarged when a mouse is over them and they do not bounce. Apple does not have exclusive rights to transparent menus, icons that react to user action, or an interface that is predominantly blue or gray that has a lined background. The themes in linux might not be the most original ideas, but good developers have put time and effort into creating interfaces that people like.

13. macrumors newbie

Not even close...

<B>First things first...</B>
    This is not a Red Hat thing... The KDE window manager is the one that is doing this. It is bundled on all versions of linux that contain a KDE install.

<B>Now that that is out of the way...</B>
    The thing that you are talking about is the "panel" and it does "zoom" the icons. This is some thing that can be shut off. other than that, the rest of the conversion that you are seeing are done by people in the linux public.

Pick up a linux magazine and you will see what the Linux world is saying about OS X... They think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

14. macrumors member

Re: Not even close...

I personally can't wait till I can get a mac. I've been waiting to work with OSX for the longest time. Linux drew me in with all it's free programming tools and themeability. Mac OSX.2 is gonna have GCC 3 and the most beautiful gui I've ever seen. If anything all the OSX look-a-like themes tend to do is make the user want to use the actual aqua gui.

15. macrumors 68020

barkmonster

eXtra Pants

Something Bill & Co. need everytime they go to court and something isn't going in their favour :D

16. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: Not even close...

I can slice my own bread. I can't do without OS X. :D

17. macrumors 68020

G4scott

18. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Yeah, you need to wear an industrial strength condom when you are ****ing around with heXPee... :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

19. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

some of u's shouldnt be flaming linux ;)

lots of linux users are huge fans of mac os x, one of the biggest linux users i know loves osx, but hes too cheap to buy a mac he says, but linux users who were/are also big time windows users arent as mac friendly as ppl who have been with linux for years..

on linux mandrake 7.1 theres a REALLY crappy osx-trying-to-look alike theme on kde, the person who designed it did a POOR job..i'll try getting a screenie, but then again it was put into mandrake almost a year b4 osx was released so ya..

20. macrumors 68040

Re: iMac ripoff

I think it was the eOne.

21. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

man, you still on that!!!

i can't retort since you say you are sixteen years old, but probably younger...so i will just have to adopt you as my macrumors punk son

i will now put that in my sig:p

22. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

you mean Queen Cobra

Hey jef.... don't you mean Queen Cobra??? We all know he is more of a cross dresser then either eyelikeart OR iGav ever could be (even combined)... :eek: :eek: :D

23. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: you mean Queen Cobra

Ewwww....thats just nasty. Queenie, stop slitherin' :eek:

24. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

wait, wait....is king cobra a she?...like kela?

so i have a new punk daughter

25. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Just a case of your good gene's gone bad... :eek: :D

More like a heshe, both male and female and yet neither... :eek: :D