Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An anonymous source claims that U2's Bono will announce a RED version of Apple's 4 GB iPod tomorrow during his appearance on Oprah. The show was apparently taped today in Chicago, and Oprah.com has the following to say about tomorrow's show:

Get "red"-y! It's something so huge, it took Opray, Bono and a convertible to make it happen! Plus, Penelope Cruz and Kanye West are in on it! An extraordinary launch! [...] Chicago goes "red" today and this is just the beginning!

The show was apparently taped today, and will be aired tomorrow, October 13th. Rumors of a RED iPod have been circulating since January. According to our source, the RED iPod would be priced similarly to current 4 GB models at $199, with $10 (5%) of each sale going to The Global Fund to help women and children affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa, where some countries have over 30% of the population affected by the disease.

Digg This

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
So it's a red nano!
25865863.jpg

redNano.jpg

edit: BJNY brought this mockup to our attention later in the thread, so I'll just repost it here too. Looks nice! :)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Regardless if its 5% or should be 10%. This is an initiative that Bono has been after for over a decade.

For most ppl that dont like U2's music, they sure know who they are and respect Bono for his philantropic efforts.

Motorola is doing the same with the RAZR v3i model.

Kinda said how a passionate music artist must make this initiative when countries with HUGE sums of cash prefer military spending in their budgets (Canada included) yet not for world equality for medicine.

This would be a HUGE BONUS for Apple. I'll be buying one for my wife it its true and available in Canada.:D

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
If it was recorded today, then the audience must know... Im nowhere near America so I cant ask them... Surely someone else apart from this source will confirm it for us... There has to be a few apple fans in the audience....

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Bono, whilst playing a gig in Glasgow, got the whole crowd to be silent and then began slowly clapping his hands. He got the crowd to clap along for a while, the stadium quiet except for the rhythmic clapping...

After a short period Bono spoke, saying that everytime he clapped his hands a child in Africa died...

Suddenly, from the front row of the venue a voice broke out in thick Scottish brogue, ending the silence as it echoed across the crowd, the voice cried out to Bono "Well stop ****ing doing it then!!"

True story.

Red glossy 1G nano - blergh, red anodised 2G nano - could be cool.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Prom1 said:
Kinda said how a passionate music artist must make this initiative when countries with HUGE sums of cash prefer military spending in their budgets (Canada included) yet not for world equality for medicine.

Kinda said? Actually, it's equality that they're trying to fight AGAINST here. The problem is that there's too much equality, which means they can't afford the medicine.

I'm all for philanthropy, but I don't think that red is the way to go for selling more iPods.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
It has to be a iPod Nano if it is 4 GB...

267917812_57f5b710af.jpg
If it is a 4 GB iPod, it has to be a Nano, right???

What else, could it be??

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Chundles said:
Bono, whilst playing a gig in Glasgow, got the whole crowd to be silent and then began slowly clapping his hands. He got the crowd to clap along for a while, the stadium quiet except for the rhythmic clapping...

After a short period Bono spoke, saying that everytime he clapped his hands a child in Africa died...

Suddenly, from the front row of the venue a voice broke out in thick Scottish brogue, ending the silence as it echoed across the crowd, the voice cried out to Bono "Well stop f***king doing it then!!"

True story.

Priceless :D

A nice red aluminium iPod would make a great Christmas present for my brother. Practical and 'do-gooding' all rolled into one small package.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
vi2867 said:

If it is a 4 GB iPod, it has to be a Nano, right???

What else, could it be??

You have to link to the images, not the flickr page.

And that's just the U2 special edition iPod.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
BornAgainMac said:
Why is U2 so big with iPods anyways? The only group to have their own iPod. :confused:

(I don't mean to be disrespectful to the U2 fanboys out there)

Remember the keynote where Jobs introduced the iTMS (and the whole idea of legal downloads)?

SJ and Bono became bed buddies.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
jellomizer said:
They might as well add a Core 2 Duo Mac Book Pro too.
Please CAN IT!

CAN IT!

My god we cant talk about anything on this board without the core 2 duo macbook/pro crew coming to mess up a thread THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH LAPTOP UPDATES

CAN IT!
:mad:

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
longofest said:
goes to a great cause, and doesn't cost you anything more.

there is no such thing as charity in america, it always comes through commerce. why not just donate the $200 bux? does a lot more than the 10 bux you are donating now, so you can justify getting a new ipod. hell i would buy a red ipod just cos of the color i don't see why the cos has to be associated with it, if they're gonna do this they might as well just donate 10% of all ipod sales. at least it does something more than haveing a "show off" recipet for your so called act of charity.

"Hi i'm bono, there's a huge aids problem in africa and people don't pay attention, heres a new ipod"

wtf.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
there is no way apple would make a product release on a pre recorded program with an audiance. Thanks to the internet the release would no longer be a surprise!

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
Chundles said:

Suddenly, from the front row of the venue a voice broke out in thick Scottish brogue, ending the silence as it echoed across the crowd, the voice cried out to Bono "Well stop f***king doing it then!!"

True story.

Are we allowed to find that funny because that is quite hilarious. If im not allowed to laugh at it then its not funny... But that is quite funny....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.