Red light coming out of headphone jacks!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by imacintel, Jun 9, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

Ok. I am on an iMac, and there is a weird red light that comes out of my headphone jacks. But it is only sometimes that it happens. It also happens in windows. What could this be? Is my iMac intel possesed?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's the optical output being incorrectly left on. It's been discussed often here.

Edit: although in what I'd seen, mainly when running Windows.

3. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, how do I fix it?

4. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

This happens with mine too, but I though it was normal. I wish I knew how to fix it.

5. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

There's nothing wrong with it to fix.

Windows just leaves the optical digital on instead of turning it off when not in use.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, first, it's no biggie... so not exactly a bad problem (the optical won't "burn out", etc.). If it's intermittent, it's probably software related. You could, of course, bring it in. Or wait to see if updates fix it... or just enjoy the night light. :)

And if it's only under Windows, you're SOL for now.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Windows.

Hah. :rolleyes:

You defintely do not have The Great Secret to Life™, then.

8. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

yet another XP problem... :) And Apple please release a driver to make the isight work, otherwise I am going to have to find some dell camera drivers and hopefully they will work...

9. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Unless you read Apple's Bootcamp documentation.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You're confusing him with another 'mac' member....
    Ah.... well, I haven't installed it, so I didn't know. :eek:

However, I won't retract my statement that, if he's running Windows, he's SOL. ;) But maybe he can fix the optical issue....

11. Graeme macrumors newbie

I've got a red light in my headphone jack and I don't have Windows installed. It's there all the time and I can't get it to turn off. Mind you it only turned on about half an hour ago when my foot got caught in a cable and pulled my lappy off the desk pulling the audio cable out and bending it. So now I don't have audio through the internal speakers, however audio still works through the port.

Anyone know of a fix or if Apple is going to charge me for fixing it if I have to send it in? It's a MacBook Pro by the way if that matters.

12. Navot macrumors newbie

This just happened to me today. My MacBook Pro was plugged into speakers via the headphone jack when I closed it. The next morning I unplugged it from the speakers and the power without waking the machine so that I could pack it for work. Upon opening it my internal speakers spotted working.

I've checked all the audio-out settings I could think of and none of them seem to even recognize that I have internal speakers. I have also tried to re-create the "accident" that seems to have cause my speakers to go silent in the hopes that it would undo whatever it is I did...

But... no luck.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unless you are lucky, Apple will recognize that it is your own damage to the machine and not covered under warranty; therefore expect to pay for it. Your best bet will be to take it to an independent Apple dealer, preferably one with whom you alreadyt have a good relationship.

14. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

From this KB article. ;)

15. sunrobby macrumors regular

my MBP have this light on the earphone jack on when in windows only, it never happen when in mac os. What does this light mean? Anyway, seems that windows in apple computer is not really fully functioned, i mean i've tried to turn on the iSight in Windows and it'll bring to a blue screen crash of death suddenly

16. Tmog macrumors member

I have the problem in Mac OS and when it is on the speakers are disabled, does anyone know how to disable the digital out in Mac OS?;)

17. Tmog macrumors member

I just spend one and a half hour with Apple support (very good service).

Conclusion: There is a switch in the Audio Out port that detects is there is a optical cable attached and it is probaly stuck. On the iMac and other models you can manually select the audio output (built in loudspeakers, digital out or line out) but not on the Macbook....

It has to go in to repair.....

18. hbomber macrumors newbie

I've been having the same problem for a few days - I had headphones in my Macbook Pro, then when I pulled them out, the audio out port had a red light and the speakers stopped working.

I just fixed it after lots of tries by simply plugging the headphones jack in and jiggling it around a bunch. Hope this helps people.

19. dmasher macrumors newbie

Red light/Headphone Jack/ext Speakers Disabled

I "corrected" this by replugging the jack in and out a few times and what ever sensed it was still inserted became unstuck...:D

20. conglo1 macrumors newbie

How to fix the red light coming from headphone jack.

Hey guys, I had the same problem, accidentally pulled the chord and red light came on. well no worries, its just a switch inside the head phone jack. i called apple and talked to them. they told me to use a toothpick or something, 1) put the tooth pick inside the headphone jack. 2) rotate it (how ever you want in any direction just untill it turns off, cuz it took me some time to figure out were to turn it too). and that should do the trick.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My light never turns off. It's suppose to be on all the time since you're only suppose to be connect Toslink cables into the port and nothing else.