red light in G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by suburban, Jun 7, 2004.

1. suburban macrumors newbie

Hi folks!
    I have the following problem:
    When I turn on my G5, a red light appears above the power button, and the fans or the CD reader seem to go faster. Somebody know what happen?? :confused:
    thanks in advance :)

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Have you opened up the case to see where the light is coming from?

3. garybUK Guest

garybUK

the g5's usually do that when the plastic air routing thingie has been removed, maybe its a faulty microswitch in the case or something ?

4. suburban thread starter macrumors newbie

images from G5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fan that goes faster is behind of the CD reader, some idea??

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Does it FLASH?

It may be the status LED.

6. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Yes. It only supposed to happen when you have G5 turned on and you completely remove metal and plastic side doors. On the plastic door, on the bottom there are 2 plastic pieces sticking out and one of them has what looks like foil glued to it. Thats the contact that detects whether that door has been removed or not.

When side doors open, top HDD fan kicks in right away to prevent HDD overheating. Since Hdd do not have a specific antiheating protection they may be permanently damaged or destroyed by heat. Other fans do no kick in right away, but red light constantly lit indicates that air is not flowing correctly. If case is completely open for 30mins - 3 hours (depending on cpu use) CPU fans will start to speed up as well. Computer will eventually freeze or shut down depending on what goes down hard first. You MAY easily permanently damage hardware if you don't have computer checked by apple.

If your plastic door is closed correctly but red light still comes on and fan speeds up, service your G5 immediatelly.