Red Steel is...

Discussion in 'Games' started by BurtonCCC, Nov 23, 2006.

1. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Incredible.

Those dopes at IGN were dead wrong in giving it a 6. It's sooo good.

Thoughts? Opinions from those who actually own it? None of that "he said/she said/I tried it for five minutes" stuff. It is a game you have to play for yourself and take time to get used to the controls.

Daniel.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm a HUGE fan...the controller took a little while to get used to, but now I'm better with it, as good as I was with NGC controller for Time Splitters 2!(maybe better)

I've play 26% of the game, 2hrs+

Much better then a 6 for sure. Flipping over tables, shooting water jugs that pop, fire extinguisher that release that white foam when I shoot them, ect. Makes for a great next gen game!

For anyone who play it a little and didn't like the controls, keep trying it. It will grow on you!

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Just a prove that reviews are to be taken as guidelines, I mean just take god of war, everyone hyped it to hell and back and I thought it was an 8.0 game at best.

SO there you go, if a game you are interested in gets crappy reviews, don't lose hope, you might still end up LOVING it.

I haven't played Red Steel, I don't even own a Wii (big tear) but it is suprising Red Steel is the most sold along with Zelda and that everyone is enjoying the game.

4. wako macrumors 65816

i played a little of red steel. I was disgusted......

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm glad to see that you enjoy Red Steel, i thought i would as well but then with the bad reviews right before launch i decided to wait it out and see what more people said about it before I buy. I'll probably take the time to rent it first before I buy (if i like it) after i complete Zelda... so it could be a while still... that is if it's found to still be considered the top FPS by then!

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah those dopes... and the dopes at GameSpot, 1UP, and Edge amongst others... :rolleyes:

7. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

For serious, haha. :)

But seriously, they were all wrong. :eek:

Did I not say this is for people who have actually given the game a good chance?

Daniel.

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Burton, I like that ava, the "A" button on the Wii controller looks so beautiful.

As for Red Steel... I don't know... I haven't played it but the lack of AI, story, and not so good reviews about controls, it doesn't look that appealing. I'd probably give it a rent. I don't see anything innovative or amazing about it except the Wii-motes capabilities. And yes this is all based on read reviews and videos. :rolleyes:

9. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Just so you know, I've heard the AI thing from a lot of game store clerks and stuff as well, but that's a completely untrue rumor. The AI is very intelligent. Enemies seek you out if you don't move for a while, etc. Maybe that's not intelligent though. The last console I had before my Wii was Dreamcast. Maybe that makes me easily excitable, haha.

Daniel.

P.S. And thanks. I'm glad you like my A button.

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Good to hear. The videos looked very good. Can't wait to get mine now, woo. 8th here I come.

11. mufflon macrumors 6502

I haven't picked up a wii as of yet - but it's definetly the first next gen consol I'll get as soon as I get the money for it - so much innovation at a decent price - who cares about hi-def capabilities if you don't have a hi-def tv? :)

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This game is really bad...I played it and I almost chucked it out the door. This game got low scores from everywhere plus people that played the game know it sucks.

Theres no helping this game.

Bless

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I believe its known as 'future-proof'

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I believe paying more for a console with HD capabilities when the overwhelming majority of TV users worldwide aren't using HD is a sensible choice. No thanks.

And I can't wait for Red Steel. I'm not getting it but my girlfriend is, she's hyped, I'm interested.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hype is bad. Expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised. That's my motto.

16. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i don't buy not being hyped.

i am sooo pumped. christmas is going to amazing.

ZELDA CAN HIT ENEMIES WITH HIS SHEILD WITH THE THRUST OF YOUR HAND!!!

that's all the hype i need to blow 250 bones.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

a) We're obviously running on different levels of disposable income

and

b) Link, not Zelda.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes: Ok I guess I was lie I really hate it!;)

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Well, in the begining of the game, you can enter any name you want. Instead of calling him Link, you can name him Zelda...or Bob. :)

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Got me there.

21. Archmagination macrumors regular

Yikes.. I actually found the Shield Thrust really hard!!

It requires you to thrust the Nunchuck down(flick it foward/down).. thing is if your not precise in that movement you end up doing Links Spin Attack.. which results in you getting your ass kicked!!

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ign UK gave it 8/10

Ign UK gave it 8/10

http://wii.ign.com/articles/747/747541p1.html

23. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm not sure this even deserves a response. Did you even bother to read the other replies? :rolleyes:

Daniel.

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I've played 6% of the way through (more than 5 minutes) and thus far I'm not terribly impressed. I also have Rayman, Zelda, Trauma Center, Excite Truck, and Wii Sports. All the other games the control felt pretty spot on without "learning"... Red Steels gun play feels a little wonky at times. The crosshair dot seems to be a little jumpy at times. The sword play is fun I'll give it that but thus far the guns really just don't cut it for me yet... I guess I'll see as I play more of it. I get worn out on Rayman... that game makes you move! :)

Oh yeah... and the menu system on Red Steel? Seriously... could they have made it more complicated with more gimicks? I'm the kind of guy that likes too go through all the menus before I play the game. I think FPS's can do well on the Wii I just think that for a first try they may have tried to use "too much".

Edit: I just played the 2nd mission and one of the enemies got stuck in the default "Poser" position... was kinda funny...

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hah, I had that on Prey just earlier today. You'd think they'd be crap loads of failsafes to stop that happening these days.