Redbox Instant... looks great, but is it coming to Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by convergent, Mar 14, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I just saw the announcement for Redbox Instant, and it looks like its got a great selection, plus includes 4 physical rentals a month and we almost always rent more than that a month. Anyone used it? Any hope of it coming to Apple TV?
  2. macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2012
    Ya right. Apple wants you to rent/buy from itunes and would never allow this.
  3. macrumors 68020

Mar 15, 2012
    Wouldn't it be the same as Netflix?
  4. macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2012
    Ya I guess so, I thought Redbox streaming was going to provide newer stuff but it's mostly old stuff like Netflix.
  5. macrumors 65816

May 27, 2011
    Lima, Peru
    naw Redbox has always had earlier movies than netflix.
    TED & Amazing spiderman are currently streaming. While netflix will take even longer to get these movies. If Redbox comes out for apple tv, xbox,PS3. IM switching. There's no doubt about it.
  6. macrumors 603

May 21, 2009
    It took forever to add Hulu

Redbox streaming is not as big as Netflix/Hulu

Maybe in a few years when it's gets more popular
  7. macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2008
    I haven't looked, does the Redbox Instant app support AirPlay from iPhone or ipad?
  8. macrumors newbie

Mar 9, 2012
    That's partially true. If you notice, Redbox Instant is broken into 3 types. There is "Subscription" (unlimited streaming), "At Kiosk" (physical DVD/Blu Ray) and "Rent/Buy" (on demand single viewing rental). Ted and Amazing Spiderman fall under the "Rent/Buy" section, which means you either consume one of the 4 free rentals or you pay the $4.99 SD/$5.99 HD fee to rent it. Redbox also has _no_ TV shows at all. At best I would say Redbox is 4th behind Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon as far as streaming services go.