Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinpdoyle

macrumors member
May 2, 2012
well whats the point in updating the iphone version then if he was going to release reeder 2? He could've just added feedly to reeder for ipad because people bought it and would've still used it.

I may be mistaken but I do believe he explained his reasoning on Twitter. The Reeder 1 revision for iphone was a stop gap measure between google reader shutting down and the release of reeder 2. He did not do it for the iPad because he would have had to substantially rewrite the app and it was best just to wait for the universal Reeder 2 to be released.

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So after shelling out for the iPhone, iPad AND Mac version I'm expected to pay for it again just for being able to use Feedly instead of Google Reader!

I don't think so.

Newsify has been a much better alternative since July...

Bah humbug!

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Don't feel like paying for this again. Will move to Feedly on iPhone and Mr Reader on iPad.
You do know that Mr. Reader costs $3.99, right? Reeder 2 is a universal app for $1 more. I've been using Mr. Reader for a long time, but I'm switching to Reeder 2 because it seems to be a much nicer app, and now I have a unified RSS experience across the two devices I use the most. (And Feedly on iPhone is clunky as hell.)

KikoPT

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Again ... sorry, but no ...

I again say that being a previous buyer and user of the iPhone, iPad and OSX versions i feel somewhat disappointed for this price choice.

For now, i'm continuing with the free Feedly versions and I'm waiting until the OSX version (and it's price) to make a decision.

ReadKit on the OSX looks very attractive now ...

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Bought it again, but only half-heartedly. Reeder is very well-designed as an actual mobile RSS reader. I haven't seen anything as efficient as Reeder in any mobile platform. The new design looks GREAT, I'll give it that - been a while since I've seen such a nicely done GUI.

I don't think charging 5 bucks for this update is a good idea. My opinion is that the developer is very skilled and the app is very well put-together (reminds me of the developer of PowerAmp for Android) so it is clearly worth it. Other people won't see it this way.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
i got it as-well because i loves reeder 1 and the interface really is neat.

though i tried newsify today too and i think newsify is better at doing what these 2 apps are meant to do - browse through rss as fast as possible and sift the best stories (newsify really takes full use of the screens real estate also images help a lot).

that said im going to keep using reeder 2 cuz i already bought it plus the experience is more enjoyable but for hardcore rss readers that really need to keep up to date with their feeds, i can see where it can fall short

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Why do people like Feedly? I couldn't be more disappointed with it, possibly the worst UI I've ever seen for RSS.

Feedly's apps are just as bad as their site. I hate using the iPhone app and the iPad app either struggles to load my feeds or won't open at all. Don't get me wrong, Google Reader wasn't a beauty queen either. But at least we have Reeder as a front end.

Now get the OSX version out and I'll be as happy as a clam :D

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Funny that there's such a high correlation between "it's too expensive" and "I use this app all the time" in posts.

So there's not much changed? This means I'm now paying this company $10 over time instead of the original $5? For an app I literally use more than anything else on my phone?

That's fine by me.
Exactly.

Also, everyone keeps saying it's just a UI refresh. Anyone who has actually used the app will know there's a lot more to it than that. For one it's fast as hell. He must have rewritten quite a bit of it. I'm very happy paying this dev for another fantastic version.

gpcovenant

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
The issue is not that the developer wants to change for an update, i support them making money and reeder is a well done app. it's that he has not fixed version 1, and instead is forcing people to upgrade, with the justification that it will take too much time.

If I want to upgrade I will do so because I believe the upgrade is worth the money to me just as I thought the original app was worth my money. Now I do not have that choice because the product i paid for is broken. So i will exercise the only option available to me and refuse to support a developer that uses such practices.

ncsmith4

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Is there no way to use the new app in landscape? I can't even get VIDEOS to go landscape so I'm stuck watching them portrait. :(

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
Good to see. I almost thought Reeder 2 was never going to see the light of day. I've been using Mr. Reeder which I've gotten pretty used to on the iPad.

Hopefully a Mac version will be available soon. I've been using Feedbin inside of a Fluid created 'app'.

Have you tried Readkit?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Is there no way to use the new app in landscape? I can't even get VIDEOS to go landscape so I'm stuck watching them portrait. :(
Yeah, there was the same problem with one of his last versions when it came out so I'd imagine he just forgets to implement and test for that. Let him know to fix it as I did.

ncsmith4

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Yeah, there was the same problem with one of his last versions when it came out so I'd imagine he just forgets to implement and test for that. Let him know to fix it as I did.

I emailed. I love the app but the customer response is a little lacking. Hopefully he pushes out Reeder 2.1 soon.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I emailed. I love the app but the customer response is a little lacking. Hopefully he pushes out Reeder 2.1 soon.
As far as I know it's a one man dev. There is no way he could code and respond to everyone. He responds decently on Twitter from time to time. He could definitely use a social manager though. Maybe he'll be able to afford one at some point.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
ReadKit is ridiculously slow at refreshing feeds. Try Caffeinated.

I don't find ReadKit slow refreshing at all with 70 RSS feeds syncing through Feedly. I just did an informal test and it took about four seconds to refresh all 70 feeds. Are seeing longer sync time than me? Is your Internet connection working properly?

Caffeinated is now a stand alone app with no sync of any kind, so is not an option for many of us.

ncsmith4

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Got a reply back from Silvio...

Hi,
Yes, this is missing in Reeder 2. It's a bit more complicated since Reeder now has a completely custom UI. But the plan is to bring this back for video at least.
Best,
Silvio

Im a little confused since it's a universal app and the iPad version DOES do landscape. But here's hoping the app gets a timely update.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Okay, so I bought it. Even thought the dev is douchebag and arrogant, I decided to see what the fuss was about. So for, I ain't impressed. If you don't do anything like Feedly, etc, you can use it as a standalone RSS reader.

But.

There's no way to IMPORT your xml/opml list anywhere INTO the app. There's and export only function. Uhhh, am I missing something here?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
There's no way to IMPORT your xml/opml list anywhere INTO the app. There's and export only function. Uhhh, am I missing something here?

Probably a bit old news, but having come across this thread as one of the top google hits for "import feed list into reeder 2" I figured there'd be other people like me, frustrated at no obvious way to import an OPML via iTunes the way the old version did.

The solution was to use dropbox - upload your OPML (in my case from Vienna on a mac) file to dropbox, then open Dropbox on the iPad, select the OPML and "open in" Reeder. From there, all fine.

Now if only there was a simple way to self-host the syncing of the read / unread preferences. Hell I've got a standalone wordpress install, surely someone could make a plugin that allows RSS readers to sync their read / unread lists with it? [rant over]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.