Redesigned Skype 5.0 for iPhone Launching Today

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft announced earlier this week that it was close to releasing a new version of its Skype for iOS app with a streamlined design and improved performance. Arriving as projected, the new Skype 5.0 for iPhone is rolling out now in the iOS App Store. Some users are reporting seeing the update in their App Store "Update" pane but are unable to download, so users should be patient as it propagates.

[​IMG]
    Skype 5.0 focuses on making conversations easier with a refined group chat feature that can be launched from the main hub and a revised notification system that works across Skype platforms including the iPhone, PC and Xbox.
    Skype for iPhone is available for free from the iOS App Store. [Direct Link: iPhone]. An updated 5.0 version of Skype for the iPad is still under development.

Article Link: Redesigned Skype 5.0 for iPhone Launching Today

2. macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

First a botched Instagram update, now Skype. What's going on?

3. macrumors 68020

Skype?

That's the thing that is like facetime but is made by that company we all hate right? Bros?

4. macrumors 601

Schtumple

"The item you tried to buy is no longer available"

5. macrumors 6502

mine updated without a problem this morning

6. macrumors regular

LucasG

Same here, lol.

7. macrumors 68020

jbachandouris

Temporarily unavailable.

8. macrumors 603

It's like FaceTime but you can use it because it's cross-platform.

9. macrumors 6502

Yes. They explained that it may not work for some yet. Be patient.

10. macrumors newbie

The update is no longer available - US Store

Attached Files:

11. macrumors newbie

Might be nice if it actually existed in the App Store (UK)

12. macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I deleted it in an effort to updated properly.

Its not showing up in the app store at all if you don’t have it installed.

However, if you search in iTunes, it is downloadable.

13. macrumors member

I am crossing my fingers for a decent update. I find the current version of Skype for iPhone pretty frustrating to use. For once it takes too many touches to finally get to my online contacts.

14. macrumors regular

"Some users are reporting seeing the update in their App Store "Update" pane but are unable to download, so users should be patient as it propagates."

15. macrumors member

I deleted the app and re-download it off my purchased list, even it shown as version 4.17.3, after install, it has the 5.0 interface.

16. macrumors regular

The interface seems very WP8-like!

As a WindowsPhone user, I kinda feel betrayed. I have a Nokia Lumia 1020, and both Nokia and Skype are owned by Microsoft, but even so, the Skype app for WindowsPhone is sub-par. Yes, the interface is smooth, but the app if filled with annoying bugs, and lacks some basic features. Switching between front and back camera while video calling is extremely buggy, and the app doesn’t feature any type of file sharing, or something as simple as sending a photo from the camera roll.

I love WindowsPhone, and I’ve actually came from an iPhone to the 1020 because the phone is incredible and WindowsPhone 8.1 is just buttery smooth and has that awesome fluidity to it. However, I just do not like how developers are treating the platform (Facebook and Instagram are crap on WP and haven't been updated in ages), and it’s unacceptable that Microsoft themselves don’t seem very willing to push forward with its own software.

Microsoft themselves don’t seem to care that Skype, their own brand, has a superior app on competing platforms than on their own system.

iPhone 6 can't come soon enough so I can switch back.

17. macrumors 603

First thoughts:
    -in-app notifications are awesome
    -swiping between recents, online, favorites is nice
    -still no option to make return send a message...
    -no indicator as to who is online on the recents screen
    -button to send message is weird, looks like the icon to send your location

Overall, not bad. Now work on the travesty that's the Mac app.

18. macrumors 6502a

Will it allow for reliable receiving of calls this time?

I tried to use Skype as a VoIP phone with an old iPhone, but it only received Skype calls if the phone was active with the Skype app in the foreground... lame.

19. macrumors member

Looks nice hope the quality as well

20. macrumors 65816

Facetime is infinitely better than Skype. It just is.

21. macrumors regular

Keeping telling yourself that ... over and over again ... while the rest of us will use something that has proven itself across many platforms.

22. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

Just grow up, bro.

23. macrumors member

It worked if I downloaded it in iTunes via the direct link then synced with my iPhone.

24. macrumors regular

Keane16

I have to agree with dumastudetto. The quality of calls, ease of call initiation, not having to ensure a contact is online/available - all make FaceTime better for me. I dropped Skype as my go to solution when FaceTime was introduced.

Skype has certainly proven itself, but that doesn't make it better for everyone.

Cross platform and group chatting are the big strengths fro Skype. If you require these features, then it's a no brainer.

I have to admit it's been a few months since I last used Skype but the quality was just not as good as FaceTime (both audio and video) when making calls iOS to iOS. This may not be the case via desktop - it's not something require so I've not tested.

25. macrumors 6502

The sooner Microsoft gets over their hideous UI design, the better.