Rediculous Buyer's Guide Status

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by agreenster, Apr 3, 2004.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

This is getting crazy. Nearly every Mac is rated "Don't Buy" in the buyers guide, and if not, it's rated "nearing end of cycle." I cannot believe the depth of the hardware update drought Apple is going through right now!

Maybe they'll do the unexpected and update the whole line at once. They need to do something. I dont think I've ever seen it this slow before.

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Agreed. Apple needs to start upgrading their hardware NOW. My current plan is to wait until NAB. If nothing is released there, I intend to consider my options in the PC world for the very first time. This is something I don't want to do, but I simply refuse to wait until WWDC.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It is pretty amazing how long it's been, especially considering that the last Powermac update they list was just the price drop on the 1.6 and the 1.8 to dual 1.8 (good, but really a revision rather than an update), the last eMac update was nothing more than a price drop, the most recent iMac update added the 20" and left the other two untouched. Only the iBook has received a significant update in the last 8 months.

Being poor, I find the eMacs the most frustrating. The only thing that's keeping them from being updated is the iMacs, which can't be updated because of the Powerbooks, which can't be updated because of . . .

It sucks being the lowest on the Totem pole.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There is something wrong with Apple, why are they taking so long to update now they have a new chip. With Moto there was a reason, now there isn't!!! :mad:

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Apple must have something HUGE in the works! Just you all wait. Damn skeptics. You'll all be blown the f*** away when Apple releases something so awesome yet so simple that everyone at first says, "no one will buy THAT" but after 2 months or so everyone says "How did I ever live without my _______??!?"

It'll happen..... wait for it...... waaaiiiiitttt.......

6. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Frustrating yes, but I am not in the market till late July to early August and will buy whatever strikes my fancy. Updated ibook or maybe a powerbook. Till then, life's a yawn ... ;)

7. Opteron macrumors 6502

Just curious where is this "Buyers Guide"

However I tend to agree with the posters thus far. THe only thing I can think of is that they are waiting for DDRII, and PCI-Express.

Other than that I'm confused. AMD have proven that a 64-bit chip will run comfortabley in a laptop, and the G% is said to consume less power????

Come on apple time to lift your game.

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think (hope) Steve is going to release or announce the release of the replacement models for every line but the xserves at the WWDC.

G5PM hits 3Ghz...
    New form factor Screens 17, 20, 23 and...maybe a bigger one... with better resolution...
    G5PB revamp and available in say September...
    G5iMac total revamp, new speakers, BT keyboard standard option...
    iBook top end G4 chips...
    eMac top end G4 chips...
    iPod upgrade, 20, 40, 60...
    mini ipods with another companies harddisk/memory type for all markets but especially to reach the international sales in July...

I think he wants to use the iPod exposure of Apple to push to those same consumers a new look on par performance Apple line...to try and get switchers.

Other possibilities are of course a screensless imac/cube for prosumers to fill the gap between imacs and PMs...

OEM Micrsoft Office (saving half the sticker price like the PC market has)...

Oh, and wireless wheel control mouse...in 5 colours like mini ipod (same finish) ?

:D

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Didn't that already happen with the iPod Mini's just a few months ago?

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yep. ;) :p

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Not really. The skeptics only bitched about the price, not the usability of the product.

12. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

thats why i bought my 12inch pbook last week...couldnt stand the waiting and boy am i impressed with its capabilities. Even if they update it next week i am very satisfied with its performance and design today. The only real update i would be looking out for is the pbooks jump to the new g5 architecture. which probably wont be comin soon.

13. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

I really dont think we'll see a G5 in an iMac for a long time. Think about how long it was before the G4 was in it. Loooooong time.

I just cant believe how slow things are regardless.

But Stoid, none of us are SKEPTICS--we all believe that Apple is awesome and up to something, but are shocked that it has taken SO long, and that their hardware line is WANING so poorly.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think that might be the understatement of the week.....it really doesn't make any sense. You'd think that it would mean something big coming from Apple - however, given their track record, I'm thinking its just going to continue to be disappointment.

D

15. Bhennies macrumors 6502

-we all believe that Apple is awesome and up to something-

They better be up to something. They are really pissing off their die-hard consumers, and really that's all they have in their marketshare. I have a lot of money ready to drop on a g5 and 23" HD and I'm DYING with my 500mhz sawtooth. It's so SLOWWWWW with Pro Tools.

16. Zaty macrumors 65816

No updates between Nov 18 and April 4 (except for Xserves and iPod mini). That's almost 6 months. Does anyone remember the last time Apple didn't announce any updates for half a year? Anyway I do hope Apple is up to something big happening soon.

17. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

This thread is soooooooo depressing but true. :mad: :(

18. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I should have bought my g5 in december. But no.... it's been don't buy for months :mad:

19. Tommy! macrumors regular

goood idea! Little wireless BT mouses in 5 colors and in aluminum like the ipod mini. I'd get one!

20. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I feel exactly the same way.

21. cubist macrumors 68020

At WWDC Steve Jobs will introduce the 60GB iPod. Oh, and that story about eMacs and iMacs being cancelled is total BS. (Remember Hypercard?)

(edit) He'll also announce 2.3GHz PowerMacs. Nothing will be said about PowerBooks or iBooks.

22. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

There's no way that powerbooks will be updated after WWDC. That's just asinine! How, since they were ANNOUNCED, have we have only one update in nearly 15 months (which was somewhat of a small speed bump)?!? I'm more passionate about the powerbook update (because I'm getting a revC with or without a G5 in it) but I also feel for all the PowerMac people.

What's going on with Apple? Their stock is through the roof, Windows users are loving their iPods and iTunes and hardcore mac fans are just laughed at. I love Apple and would never switch but it's getting harder and harder to defend them against all the attacks I get with my PC buddies.

Come on, get your act together!

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hate to agree, but yeah, it has been awhile. Al PB to Ti PB long. You'd think there'd at least be some price drops. All we get is $500 off the high end display if you buy a G5. I'm trying to be optimistic. I hope Apple comes up with something to amaze us.

I hope Apple just comes up with something.

24. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

So are you reliable for rumors? :D

2.3 Ghz would be pretty lame after 3Ghz promise last year...even with 3 months to go.

60GB iPod, yep more damn music...where is my G5PB???? :mad:

25. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, I agree. I mean the iPod and iTMS is only a small part of the digital hub. A digital hub that is quickly falling behind.