Rediscovering music thru iTunes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LethalWolfe, Jan 25, 2003.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Out of boredorm, and the dellusion I'll be getting an iPod anytime soon, I started ripping my entire CD collection w/iTunes yesterday. I'm about halfway thru and I must say I've never enjoyed my music so much. Setting it on random letting it go is so wonderful. It's like listening to a radio station that only plays what I like.

I'm the type of person that always has a CD playing (radio 'round here blows). I hate being in the car and forgeting the CD I wanted to bring, or being at home and having to switch CDs all the time 'cause I don't want to listen to the same 5 bands in the changer all day (not to mention the fact that I have mix CDs all over the place). Having this kind of access to my music is, wow, awesome. Obviously I'm pretty psyched 'bout this. :D

Needless to say I'm going to be getting an iPod in the near future. Having instant access to my entire music collection while I'm in my den has spoiled me so now I *must* have it everywhere I go. :)

I think when it's all said and done I'll have ~3800 songs ripped at 192 + VBR @ highest quality setting so most songs are between 200 and 230 (that's a quality/size compoimise I can live with).

Lethal

2. job macrumors 68040

job

So what held you back on ripping all your tunes?

btw, itunes euphoria is a great feeling. :D

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, i had a pretty decent library before hand, but when i got my iPod i started ripping like crazy, and getting more albums for the little guy... i've not been this into music... ever :)

and it's just so fun to be able to say to friends, when you're discussing an artist: "oh yeah, i've got two of his albums in my pocket"...

:)
    pnw

4. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

When I first got my PM last April it was just going to be an editing workstation. But the more I worked on it the more I liked it and little by little I started using it as much, or more, than my PC. Even though it's supposed to be my "business" computer and my PC is my "everything else computer."

The Mac has worn my resolve down to this: I'll only install editing related apps onto my Mac, but whatever software happend to come pre-installed I'll use. :D

Lethal

5. Timothy macrumors 6502

Until you experience it...

I've tried to explain my iTunes/iPod euphoria to many different people...most often, their eyes glaze over and it's obvious that they just don't get how incredible it is to have your entire collection loaded on your computer, and portable on your iPod. This has been one of the most important developments of tech ever in my life.

Lethal...just wait until you have all of your music "rated" within iTunes. Then, you can set up auto generated playlists (play me all songs rated 4 or higher). Being able to span your entire collection and play only the very best is a somewhat surreal experience. Welcome to the Club! :cool:

Pardon me while I wax philosophic for a moment...philosophy is one of my passions, afterall...

The aim of my life is joy. One of the key components of joy in my life is music. This technology has increased that joy exponentially. In a very real and direct way, iTunes/iPod have increased the value of my life.

Have your eyes glazed over yet? :D

6. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Until you experience it...

I didn't even believe people when they talked about how wonderful iTunes & iPod was. I just thought they were exicted about their new cool toy. But now that I've experience half of the equation I have an entirely new understanding of what they were talking about. And what makes it even more surreal (to steal yer word) is the effectively refined interface of both iTunes and the iPod. I'm a diehard Winamp user, but now i'd rather power up my Mac just to use iTunes rather than use Winamp.

Lethal

EDIT: To answer yer Q, yes my eyes have glazed over. But only 'cause it's 4am here. :)