Redownload iTunes purchases

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just managed to delete all my purchased music :eek: (while trying to back it up, would you believe). How can i redownload it? I've found the Purchase History page, which lists everything I've bought, but I can't figure out how to download the songs again.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I do not be the one to tell you this, but unless you manage to sleep with someone in Apple's Customer Service, you're not getting that music back. It sucks, and I lost a couple of songs that way. Maybe if you beg, they'll have mercy, but probably not.

3. Jsmit macrumors regular

I hate to be the one to say this and I'm hoping I'm wrong, but it looks like you can only download it once.

I just tried to download the music from my another OS X acount (using the same itunes acoount) and iTunes told me that music can only be downloaded once, but I was free to transfer the files to this computer. Sorry.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, that's terrible! :( I'm so sorry.

Hmmm...I'm actually finally writing a CDRW of my purchased songs as we we speak....

Nermal, you don't have an iPod, do you? Because if you do, you can use one of those utilities that lets you pull files off it....

I guess the only other thing would be to get together a list of the songs from your history, and get people to give you copies. Since you can't use the copies they give you unless you own the license already, I don't see any particular copyright issue with that. :rolleyes:

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just tried to email Apple and their website spat back an error. I don't know whether they received my message or not, so I'll wait a couple of days and email them again if I don't hear back from them.

I don't see why they wouldn't let me redownload the songs. They have my purchase history, and I have all the receipts they've emailed me, so I don't see what the problem is. :confused:

Unfortunately, I don't think that'll work. The purchased songs have your Apple ID encoded into them - every person who downloads the song gets a slightly different file. iTunes would notice that the purchaser wasn't me, and would therefore not let me play the file.

Of course, I could let JHymn loose on some of the files ;)

Edit: Oh yeah, I tried to use TechTool's data recovery tool, but after waiting for hours for it to scavenge, it didn't help :mad:

6. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

dude, dont worry too much - iTMS support are generally nice people :)

It's happened to me before, and all they have to do is press a button and you can re-download your whole collection.

As long as you're calm and polite in your email, you should be fine! ;)

/asif

7. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

All is well

I told one of my friends what had happened, and he came forward with a confession - he'd copied my entire music library last time he was here. So he brought his computer around, and we copied all the .m4p files back onto my system. So, with the exception of about 2 songs downloaded since then, I have all my music back :D

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What are friends for?

Hope you gave him a smack before thanking him... :D

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You are the luckiest man alive...
    Congrats, and thank your friend for stealing your music! :D

10. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Heh, I don't care that he copied them anyway - the fact that he's copied my music doesn't lessen my enjoyment of it or anything :confused:

Nitpick: It's not really stealing because nothing was taken - the originals remain behind. Unless, of course, you accidentally delete them! :eek:

They're all backed up now :)

11. tubedogg macrumors regular

This actually works...I was skeptical but I lost a hard drive a few weeks ago and based on this post I tried emailing them and they let me redownload. Cool :D

12. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There were a few songs that my friend didn't copy. I've tried to email Apple 3 times, but keep getting the error 'no data received' after submitting the form. Anyone else ever had this happen?