Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
WOO HOO :D :) The Redskins won against the cowboys for the first time in the last 15 games with them. Was a great game, the redskins had zero points for almost the whole game then right at the end they got 2 touch downs, taking the lead by just one point. Then with just 2 or so minutes left they push valiantly to eat up the clock and succeeded!! :p :D :)

http://www.redskins.com/gameday/

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Two once proud franchises, who have taken a back seat to the rest of the NFL. Two hall of fame coaches who the game has passed by. It will be a while before a game between those two means anything to more than just their immediate fans.

Congrats on the win for your team. You have suffered long through some dark years, but I can't help but believe that there is still much darkness to come.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
MacDawg said:
Two once proud franchises, who have taken a back seat to the rest of the NFL. Two hall of fame coaches who the game has passed by. It will be a while before a game between those two means anything to more than just their immediate fans.

Congrats on the win for your team. You have suffered long through some dark years, but I can't help but believe that there is still much darkness to come.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

I drove past Texas Stadium last night during the game... my god, I've never seen that many cars before. They were parked on the interstate, the overpass, everywhere.

And then they lost.

Hah!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Why Bill why did you sell yourself to the Cowboys, What has your career become. :(

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I tuned into the last 10 minutes of the game last nigfht - man, did I pick the best time to tune in! 13-0 with 5 minutes left, and what a comeback! A touchdown on 4th and 15 and another long bomb to go ahead on the next drive. I'm not a fan of either of these teams, but it sure was an exciting finish to watch regardless!

Must.Get.nano!

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
I think that game was a fluke...
Too bad cowboys didnt play gooodly weller than the redskins...

GREAT GAME THOUGH.

iPaul

stutz

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2005
Hail to the Skins!!!!!

Man, I've been a 'Skins fan since I was a little tike; and just when I was about to turn off the tube in disgust at the impotence of the D.C. offense I was shocked by a 50 yard bomb by old man Brunell. Seeing how my Hogs have lost almost every game to the Cowboys since I can remember, I figured this was just a fluke.....a FLUKE THAT STRUCK TWICE!!!!!! BOOO-YAAAAH! I was thrilled as other Washington fans that Gibbs came back for future glory; but unless we get some consistent offense, this year will be yet another out of the playoffs. The upcoming schedule doesn't look too kind either; but if we can take down the annual mediocrity in Seattle maybe we can reach .500. Man, I miss the glory days of the Fun Bunch.

Applespider

macrumors G4
~Shard~ said:
I tuned into the last 10 minutes of the game last nigfht - man, did I pick the best time to tune in! 13-0 with 5 minutes left, and what a comeback! A touchdown on 4th and 15 and another long bomb to go ahead on the next drive. I'm not a fan of either of these teams, but it sure was an exciting finish to watch regardless!

Nope... that was getting close to 5am here and there's no way I was sticking it out that long.

I'm so disappointed though that last year's game was such a stinker. I won an NFL trip to MNF last year but the game wasn't that great. This one would have been amazing to see...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Applespider said:
Nope... that was getting close to 5am here and there's no way I was sticking it out that long.

I'm so disappointed though that last year's game was such a stinker. I won an NFL trip to MNF last year but the game wasn't that great. This one would have been amazing to see...

Ah yes, I suppose so with the time difference - for me, the game was on from 7-10 PM - much more conducive to watching that way. ;)

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't the best - sometimes games are great, other times they're as boring as hell. I prefer the pace and action of the CFL here in Canada actually. Only 3 downs, which equates to more possessions, much higher scoring, faster pace, less time between plays, and the game isn't over for the losing team if there's only 2 minutes left and they're down - the clock pretty much always stops, so there can be multiple scoring taking place in the last couple minutes. It's a great game! I enjoy the NFL too, just that it's so much of a slower pace and lower scoring than Canadian football... :cool:

Applespider

macrumors G4
~Shard~ said:
Sorry to hear your experience wasn't the best - sometimes games are great, other times they're as boring as hell.

The experience was fun nonetheless since it was free, in the Club level and still a game of football. But games are always better when it comes down to the 4th quarter to decide the winner. The most exciting game I saw was opening day in Buffalo 3 years ago when they played the Jets and it went to OT in the final minute of regular play. Only to be overshadowed when Santana Moss returned the OT kickoff for a TD.... ah well! Super Bowl XXXVIII was a great one too - we were praying for OT before Kasay shanked the last kickoff and gave the Pats a short field and long field goal.

I prefer the pace and action of the CFL here in Canada actually.

We get the CFL over here too but it's never really appealled, except for seeing where some of our NFL Europe players ended up! I'm not a big fan of the 3 down rule or the clock stopping so often rule. It's possibly because I don't appreciate the strategy involved in having 3 downs - and possibly because I quite like watching a good rushing back and the CFL seems more of a passing league.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Applespider said:
We get the CFL over here too but it's never really appealled, except for seeing where some of our NFL Europe players ended up! I'm not a big fan of the 3 down rule or the clock stopping so often rule. It's possibly because I don't appreciate the strategy involved in having 3 downs - and possibly because I quite like watching a good rushing back and the CFL seems more of a passing league.

That's very much true - it's a passing league, it has to be with only 3 downs, as you say, so it all depends what you prefer. I prefer the passing game myself and its faster pace, but perhaps I'm biased because I used to be a wide receiver/cornerback in high school. ;) I like it too because you essentially only have 2 shots to make the first down, not 3 - that leads to some bigger plays, more changes of possession ( =more opportunities for each team to score) and not as many 1- or 2-yard rushing plays up the middle (yawn).

I like the clock stopping rule because, as I said, it gives teams a chance. What frustrates me with the NFL is how if a team has a single score lead with 2 minutes left, they can essentially run the clock out - and if they have a 2 score lead, it's game over. In the CFL, if there's 1:00 left, each team could score twice more if they know what they're doing!

But don't get me wrong, I love the NFL as well! When it comes down to it, I love football in general, so it's all good. :) :cool:

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Yawn

Hey, the season is young and hopes are still there for the fans. But forgive me if I found this a complete non-event. Wake me up if either of these teams get more than 7 wins this year.

When the Cowboys and Redskins are fighting it out with the Texans and 49ers over lottery picks (by around week 6), the only real team in the division, the Eagles, will be rolling through the conference again and in the hunt for the Superbowl.

btw, the Redskins really should change their name. Maybe to the Honkeys, Crackers or WatermelonMen. Then they could be equally offensive to another racial group.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.