Reduce, reuse, recycle

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joecool85, Feb 8, 2007.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I just thought I'd share my thoughts with you guys about our beautiful Earth and how we should try to keep it nice and clean. I feel I do my part, and I'm always trying to get others to do their's.

Reduse:
    - Cut back your energy usage (gas, electricity etc)
    - Use less "throw away" material

Reuse:
    - Don't trash the old computer, sell it so someone can use it
    - Reuse old cans for projects like pencil holders (donate them to schools, art programs etc)

Recycle:
    - This one is obvious. Recycle your paper, cardboard, bottles, cans, and jars.

I'm only 21 and I feel I'm doing my part. I walk or ride my bike when I can if I'm not going far and when I do need to go far I drive a small car that gets 30mpg or so average, I use only 10.5kwh/daily in my apt with my gf. I fix and use (or resell) older items rather than buying new. I just fixed an old bench grinder (50+ years old) for my Dad so he didn't have to junk it, and I am frequently repairing/reselling iPods. And I recycle pretty much all of my paper, cardboard, cans, glass jars and bottles. I also buy printer paper that is made from recycled paper, as well as toilet paper made from recycled paper.

Just wondering if anyone else does any of this stuff.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I hope you watched "Living with Ed Begly" to see if you want to go overboard also.

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Means nothing to me, never heard of it.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ed Begly Jr. is an actor and very pro-environment, which isn't bad, except he's a bit extreme.

For example, to make toast, he has a toaster connected to a generator connected to a bike - he rides to make the toast. Cool, but - although I saw only the trailer and not the show - it would seem that he's a bit too far into it.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sorry but your ordering of the Rs bugs me. :eek:

Always been taught it as, Recycle, Reuse, Reduce (and close the loop). :eek:

6. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He's from Maine, but in Ontario (Canadia), it was always: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Of course, those government adverts were cut around 10-12 years ago, and now there's more litter on the streets, less people concerned about recycling, etc. Go figure.

8. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

The spelling was actually wrong, I knew it didn't look right lol. And yes, I'm from maine. And proud of it :cool:

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Same here.

California, of course, has to be different. :rolleyes:

;)

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I live in FL and I've always been taught: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. As recycling costs the most therefore reducing/reusing is the better choice.

11. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

personally, i try my best, but i have to draw the line at buying recycled toilet paper and paper towels. that stuff is so expensive here, we just can't afford it.

to compensate, i use washable rags or microfiber cloths to clean (no paper towels), my husband and i recycle as much as we can (unfortunately, where i live they only take #1 and #2 plastics, glass, newspapers and corrugated cardboard), and i give things away or donate instead of trashing them. i'm constantly donating to goodwill...as well as to my sister-in-law. ;)

we're fortunate enough to live 1 mile from where i work, and we both drive cars that get around 35 MPG. we limit extraneous driving, and we combine errands to save on gas.

we have a programmable thermostat to save on electricity and heating oil, and we buy only energy star fixtures, bulbs, and appliances. we're pretty good about keeping energy use down, as well.

i just can't seem to convince my family or friends to do any of these things...sometimes it feels like no one else cares, but we keep on anyway. :rolleyes:

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

13. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Wow, definetly sounds like you are doing your part. The toilet paper here is an extra $0.25 over the regular cheapo stuff, and thats not per roll, thats $0.25 more for a pack of 12 rolls.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Amazingly it's not different here.:cool:

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Er. I think he was referring to my post... because I was taught a different mantra, and I'm in CA. :p

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

reduce, reuse, recycle out here on the east coast too.