Reducing pictures sizes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illegalprelude, Aug 22, 2006.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

whats a good and easy program to reduce picture sizes or change their sizes and such.

I either use MS Paint on my PC if i just wanna drop the picture quality so i can send the file via AIM or just post a quick link. Or I use Paint Shop Pro to actually change the picture size to like 1024 by 768 or so.

But on the Mac, whats good and free?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

iPhoto? You can choose the size when you export a picture.

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Holy Bat-Dar! I had no idea! :eek: Thanks for that. Is there anyway i can compress the image file further? For example my 5.1 mega-pixel camera takes pics at roughly 2.3MB per picture. When I export via 800 x 600, their abot 250kb (not bad) but for what i want and could do just via MS Paint on my pc, it would drop it to like 60k. Huge image hit but for my needs, it didnt matter one bit.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm not sure. You could try Preview with the reduced size images and use Save As and see if you can turn down the quality of the JPEG. I'm not on a Mac right now :( so I can't check if it's an available option...

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I use iPhoto to reduce the image size (number of pixels) and then Preview to reduce the jpeg quality if necessary. Works fine.

6. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

did not know i could do that either. Thank you very much. so i just learned 2 new things i can do with iPhoto and Preview. That pretty much solved my problem :)

7. steelfist macrumors 6502a

there's a good program called: smallimage, or something like that. search it on versiontracker.

8. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

To resize images, I use GraphicConverter. Works great.

9. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Another option to consider is an Automator workflow. You can save it as a folder action and, upon attaching it to a designated folder, any time you want to resize a file you'd simply drag it into that folder.

There's also this pre-defined one:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/resizepicturessuite.html

EDIT: I do this to convert files to JPEGs and create thumbnails, but I'm not on my Macintosh right now so I don't have the Automator library in front of me.

10. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Thanks. Great tip. I have been doing this manually through iPhoto export and griping about it to myself each time.