"Reel"-y Good Video Editing Software

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 18, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Although I have never used any of the DV editing packages mentioned I would have to say that the reviewer was fairly balanced. I guess it is a bit hard for Apple to suck in this area though.

3. Guest

ppc_michael

I'm surprised they even mention Pinnacle Studio. I've used three versions and have had massive problems with all three where, after a transition or cut, the audio will be mismatched or pop loudly or the video will stutter, oh it's terrible.

4. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

doesn't final cut pro do this?

5. macrumors member

hate hate hate pinnacle. kept crashing on me, and messing up my codecs

6. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Did they declare a winner, or is this like a suburban kids soccer match where you just kick it around for 2 hours and then declare that everyone is a winner because yo don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I think it may be a case where instead of the traditional Apple slandering, which just wouldn't work in this case, they just make up higher scores for the other guys. . . I don't know, but having used everything except for the CyberLink trash, I find it hard to believe that these guys can even compete with Apple in this particular arena.

7. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. macrumors 68000

They've got some valid points....

I've used ULead Studio (version 9, and now they're on 10 with even more improvements) and I thought it was a pretty competent video editing package for Windows.

One of the main reasons I bought a Mac in the first place was my desire to edit video footage from my Sony DV camcorder. I quickly realized that in Windows, most of the software was unstable or clumsy to use.

That was about 4 years ago though, and I think a few of the Windows editing packages have come a LONG way since then. Plus, Adobe has thrown their hat back in the game with Premiere Elements for Windows - since they've abandonned the Mac in that area.

Apple's iMovie is what most Mac users are going to start out using for video work -- not Final Cut Express or Pro. iMovie is lacking in a few areas, including no true mixer for editing audio. I still prefer my Mac for video editing work, by far. But it's not wise to blow off all the Windows editing packages as substandard. They're playing catch-up.

9. macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yes it does.

10. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

any links about low-res editing?