References to Next-Generation AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Found

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 14, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this evening, Apple released version 5.5.3 of AirPort Utility. This small update to the AirPort Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule administration software contained a few bug fixes, but also a bit of a surprise. Readers in the MacRumors Forums (neek and jonnyz) found references to unreleased 4th Generation Time Capsules and 5th Generation AirPort Extremes.

In the weeks leading up to the WWDC keynote, there had been reports of dwindling Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme stocks, suggesting an imminent refresh. It seems that Apple has been working on next-generation devices, but hasn't yet released them.

[​IMG]
    Also found were references to Software Updates being stored on devices, but these references are not new as the same text has been found in older versions of the software dating back to at least 2010.
    These findings were also reported by 9to5Mac, which had previously detailed that upcoming Time Capsules would be offering a Software Update caching system:
    Given the fact that these Software Update references were also present in the old firmware, it's not clear when Apple is planning on launching this features, especially in light of the recent iCloud announcements. Apple has also been rumored to be redesigning its Time Capsules and AirPort Extremes around the same A4/A5 processors used in the iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: References to Next-Generation AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Found

2. macrumors 68000

RawBert

It will be interesting to see what the fifth gen Airport will offer.

3. macrumors newbie

I'm really looking forward to this. I've never had an airport extreme/time capsule, and I'm getting tired of my DD-WRT router..

4. macrumors member

All i can say is.. WOW!.

5. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Basically anyone who is 100% Apple is in for a real treat.

6. macrumors 6502

ThunderBolt

Hopefully the Airport Extreme will have ThunderBolt ports.

Both for adding Time Machine storage and for networking via ThunderBolt.

7. macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

I need to postpone my flight to Titan for this.

8. macrumors 6502a

Apple has a love-hate relationship with their products.

"You're revolutionary, you piece of #%@&..."

Sounds like this won't help if have ADSL/2+ router and are running your TimeCapsule in bridged mode.

9. macrumors member

I guess theres no point really, due speed transfer limitations over 802.11n

10. macrumors 6502

+1 on this!

11. macrumors 6502

As I said in my original post, networking via ThunderBolt as well.

12. macrumors 6502a

If they do de-duplication, I will convert more people into using Apple ;)

13. macrumors 68000

3goldens

Not very interesting, that's for sure.

14. TheAustrianGuy, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

macrumors member

...removed due to incorrect info...

15. macrumors 6502a

The new one is not out yet?? What's your point? We all have gen 3

16. macrumors 68000

what about a device with a local iCloud?

iCloud is sure doesn't work in my country which only has 0.2 mbps upload speed. photostream will not work well, let alone videos upload! :(

17. macrumors 6502a

Yeah but if it's all done in the background when the device is idle, it'll still work just not as instant. Or at least I think...

18. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Not the kind of thing most of us will discard a working model of to get a new one.

19. macrumors 68000

hell no, with 0.2mbps upload speed, my battery will be dead before it even finishes uploading.

20. macrumors 6502a

this means it will download the updates without even asking you, which means if you're playing an online game at the moment you're doomed to lag :cool:

21. macrumors 6502

..a new A4 powered AEBS with built in iTunes server to act as a home media hub (very much in keeping with the home sharing concept) would be amazing - I currently have a Mac Mini doing this and it's pretty wasteful. VPN support would be good too.

Dream on I guess though.

Monty

22. macrumors 6502a

Thex1138

So...

iCloud pushes all the updates and purchases to your TC... then whenever you get in range it auto synch's... I like it!
    :D

If it requires a new TC rather than my existing TC... well ah...
    :rolleyes:

23. aleni, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

macrumors 68000

automatic downloading for music and apps is stupid too.

i hope this new device will act as a server, so when i download an app from my iPhone, when it finishes, the iPhone will upload the app to the new device and then the device will push it to my iPad and my wife's iPhone.

i know i can turn off the automatic download, but i'd really love to enable it without it consuming my internet bandwidth. and one more annoying thing is when i download an app, it takes 3 times longer because the iPad and my wife's iPhone will download it too. if i want to play NOVA 3, i buy it, so now download takes 3 times longer before i could play it. and i know i can turn the feature off, but i don't want to call my wife at home and tell her to temporary turn off the automatic download, it's much of a hassle.

apple will waste bandwidth too because of this, so when im downloading an app, it means for apple to waste 3 times more bandwidth and makes higher for monthly bandwith cost.

if i were steve jobs, i would make this new device can store iCloud locally and sell it for only $15-$20, so people who have more than one iDevices would buy this and they can even have 3 of them connected as backups in case of **** happening.

so subsidized money in new device taken from saved monthly bandwidth cost.

and about that instant stuff like u working a document in iPhone, do u really need it to be pushed to your iPad at home right away? this local iCloud is instant too, by the time u arrive at home and your iPhone is connected to wifi, the iPad will get the document too.

24. macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Everyone take a look that bottom of the Time Capsule page. They are still using a Macbook Air image from 2008. How apt!

25. macrumors member

I was planning on upgrading to a nice new dual-band n router running DD-WRT, but now I'm going to wait and see what happens. The wireless network extending functionality of the Airport Express is really tempting too. I always wished I could do that with my DD-WRT router.