Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
rEFIt and Mountain Lion?
I just D/l ML and it seems to work but a bit disconcerting not updated since 2010! Should I uninstall? Why the lapse in updates? I read there is a newer program rEFInd but can't seem to get too much info on it as does not seem as popular as rEFIt is. I run it on my 2011 MacBook Air and have a Windows 7 64bit partition.

Thoughts?

MiamiC70

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Honest, not sure that as a Mac OSX newbie that was the first thing I was told to do and I just did as the office Mac OSX furs instructed, LOL.
Has worked fine since but given no support it concerns me that maybe time to uninstall it.

Isira

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Why do you need it if your only running Windows?
IMO, having a boot menu is better than having to remember to hold down a key every time I want to switch to a different OS.

rEFIt and Mountain Lion?
I just D/l ML and it seems to work but a bit disconcerting not updated since 2010! Should I uninstall? Why the lapse in updates? I read there is a newer program rEFInd but can't seem to get too much info on it as does not seem as popular as rEFIt is. I run it on my 2011 MacBook Air and have a Windows 7 64bit partition.
Thoughts?
Has worked fine since but given no support it concerns me that maybe time to uninstall it.
There's a lapse in update because the author decided not to continue development of it. However, as you figured out, another developer has picked up the project and forked the code as rEFInd, but has also released a minor updated version of rEFIt where he fixed some bugs in the original code.

As long as it works fine, I'd just leave it alone. If you feel the need to keep up to date, then upgrade to rEFInd or use the newer version of rEFIt.

killerbee79

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Why update it? rEFIT has one purpose only, to let you choose what to boot, in OSX or Windows or CD or USB. It is merely a bootloader telling the computer which partition to load. The OS doesn't run in rEFIT.

If it does the job you got it for keep it. Why try and fix something that isn't broken?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.