reformat and reinstall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a 1 and a half year old powerbook. After that much time, the computer is starting to run a bit sluggishly. Also, my ins/outs for memory are often in a 1:1 ratio..which i hear is really bad. I use onyx too. Anyhow, it the pc world, I would reformat and reinstall the os and everything to start fresh. I really don't want to though if I can avoid it because it would be a pain. Is this the way to go or is there something I'm missing?

specs: 1.5 ghz ppc, 80 gb hd (33 left), 768 ram, 12" powerbook

2. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Reinstalling will do it. I did it to my iMac after it started to get bogged down, and it was a lot faster.

3. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Nothing Quite Like A Good Re-format

I totally agree, a good re-format will speed up everything.

Give it a whizz ......... your Powerbook will behave like a new computer.

I re-format all my mac's (3 of them) two or three times a year.

Dave :)

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Do not, repeat do not, reinstall. This is almost never required on a Mac, except as a last resort. What else have you tried? Have you run fsck in Single User Mode? Have you even rebooted? Repaired permissions?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Please tell me you are kidding. Please?

With proper, easy maintenance, you should never have to reinstall OSX. Never!

6. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Do you not agree that re-formatting and re-installing generally will speed everything up by getting rid of all the "gunk" that we seem to fill our hard drives with?

I have always found getting rid of the "gunk" works wonders.

Dave :)

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There's nothing like the smell of a fresh install. I probably do it on average once a year between 3 Macs.

8. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

I run onyx and reboot once a week.

Will this fix my ins/outs problem too or is that just me not having enough ram?

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure, you can kill a gnat with a shotgun, but I wouldn't recommend it as the preferred method.

The nice thing about OSX is that unlike Windows, it does not auto-hose. I like my "gunk" -- that's why it's on my hard drive.

With simple regular maintenance, you should never have to reinstall OSX, short of a mechanical failure. I maintain three Macs -- the newest is three years old, the oldest, over six years. None have ever been reformatted or reinstalled, and they all run fine.