Reformat iPhone Completely?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mpuck972, Jan 25, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Is there a way to wipe it clean, and completely reinstall the firmware? The upgrades from Apple dont clean everything up.

I restored, and then upgraded to 1.1.3, but my title bar at the top of the screen still shows a custome carrier, wifi icon, and the clock is stuck at 9:42!

Any ideas?

2. macrumors 6502

I'm not positive but you can try this:

1. Go into Settings > General > Reset

2. Hit "Erase all Content and Settings."

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I believe all that will do is erase contact, and email info.

4. macrumors 6502

Another idea would be to restore in iTunes, and instead of "restoring from a backup" when prompted, set it up as a new phone. You'll lose your backup, but it might just wipe the system clean :))

5. macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

mpuck, I'd like to know this as well so if you find the answer, please post it! Thanks.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

mpuck972

The answer is in the first quote. This completely removed EVERYTHING including pictures, notes etc.

7. macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Any way to sync back up with a profile to get your photos, notes, etc. back after doing that?

The main reason I am interested is because when you do a restore, it doesn't remove a lot of the data that 3rd party apps place on your phone and I may possibly be interested in removing that by formatting, and then syncing back over my legit iPhone stuff someday.