Reformatting a USB key.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Xander562, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Ok, so i got a 1GB USB drive from office Depot for really cheap, like $20, the only problem is is that every time i put it in, a CD icon appears along with the Drive icon, i deleted everything that was on the USB Drive (it came with some crapware stuff) but the icon still comes up, see picture attatched. so is it possible to reformat a USB key completely?

Attached Files:

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yep, you can reformat it in Disk Utility – it should be tucked away in your Utilities folder unless you've moved it.

3. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

ok so i did what you said,
    and it didnt work,

i even reformatted it on my brother's Dell, and that didnt work either, the CD IS STILL THERE!:( :mad:

man, i hate crapware, my brother put it in his computer and it just started installing stuff!

any other suggestions?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to need a Windows program to remove the U3 partition. I found the utility on RapidShare long ago when I had to kill it on my brother's flash drive. I make sure flash drives don't say U3 when I buy them from now on.

You're in luck. (Use Google from now on please.)

http://u3.com/uninstall/

5. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

Thanks sooo much, although i still had to use my brother's PC to uninstall it, oh well.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah it's a PC only uninstaller. But I'm glad to hear that you got it removed.