Reformatting and RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by semaja2, Dec 14, 2005.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hey i was wondering on my new ibook if i reformat it with the disk included will i lose all that included software or what, also would adding 512mb ram really make that much difference for a windows power user converting to mac

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Adding 512MB should be quite noticeable for the average user, but certainly for a power user. OSX can efficiently handle more RAM than Windows so in other words, if you give it more, it'll take advantage of it properly. :)

As for the reformat, the OSX disks that come with the iBook have all the standard apps included (iLife and so on) but a retail (boxed) version only has the system. My guess is you'll be using the included disks so you won't lose any apps. :)

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol thanks once again mad jew, oh btw do you ahve a real life :p

i can guess why macosx has better memory usage but can u tell me does it act the way linux does or windows

linux uses all ram then page

windows uses ram and page at same time

PS seeing ur a aussie as well where woudl be a good place to get a cheap 512 stick from

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah, one of the mods took it for $25. His name's Nermal and he's a meanie. Keep away.

Oh, and he's from New Zealand. :eek:

OSX claims to use both simultaneously but obviously more of an emphasis on the actual RAM (like any OS should) so effectively, it'll only use the Virtual RAM when necessary, despite what it says in Activity Monitor.

Well, it's hard to find Mac guarantied RAM 'round these parts but I reckon your best bet is Streetwise. :p