Reformatting, but should I choose to format as Extended (Journaled) or Unix?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ryvius, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Ryvius macrumors member

Two options, the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then Unix File System. Did a few searches and didn't see any discussions here, so I was curious as to what was best.

Thanks,
    Ryvius

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

What are you installing?

Mac OS X - Extended (Journaling)
    Linux/Unix - Unix File System

I may be wrong, but Mac OS X won't work if installed (won't install?) on a UFS drive. Likewise, a Unix/Linux system won't function on an Extended (Journaling) drive.

3. Ryvius thread starter macrumors member

Reformatting my 12" powerbook's hardrive to see if it'll fix all the catastrophic crap that's been happening to it lately.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Did you try running fsck -y and Disk First Aid until they fixed all the problems, then try booting into safe mode?

Format of the drive really only fixes the really ****ed HD problems... for the times the file/catalog problems are really really bad and aren't fixed by fsck -y/DFA or the third party drive repair suites.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Before you reformat....

Follow the instructions in this thread. But you don't need to zap the PRAM...

If that dosn't work, post back with WHAT dosn't work. We will help.

6. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I'm assuming that your reformating is in relation to the problems we were discussing in this thread. If so, you want to reformat using Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Unless you have a very specific need for UNIX compatibility, don't choose UFS. You cannot run Carbon applications from it because it does not support traditional Mac OS dual-fork files.

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I believe that all Apple apps (native OS X apps, anyway) will now run on UFS. That didn't used to be the case. However there are two problems with UFS. The first is that OS X apparently takes a performance hit when the disk format is UFS. Second, some third-party apps will not run on UFS, even though there's no good reason for that. One of the Microsoft apps I have - either Office v.X or Virtual PC 6.1 - will not work properly on UFS. I used to have my /Users directory on a UFS partition and found that the app (I'm pretty sure it was VPC) gave me a warning when I tried to save to that partition.

9. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I think the issue with UFS vs extended is:
    UFS is case sensitive and case preserving. No resource fork.
    Mac Extended is case insensitive and case preserving.

Bottom line is unless you have a very good reason to need UFS, format to Mac extended,