Reformatting iPod for PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Leydeno, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Leydeno macrumors newbie

I have an iMac G5. My flat mate has an old PC but it runs on XP. He recently bought an iPod and used it for a while on my Mac because his computer wasn't set up. He's since set it up and has tried to use his iPod on his PC but his computer won't recognise it (I think because it's formatted for Mac). He's updated the iPod but his PC still won't recognise it. I know this is a forum for Mac users (and Lord knows I've relied on it for myself a few times!) but I'd like to help my mate set up his iPod. Can anyone please help set his iPod onto his PC?

Thanks for any advice

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I think the first step would be to reset the whole ipod. Check apple's site for how to do this (in the iTunes and iPod section). I forgot how to do it, but that should completely clean it off - then just plug it into the PC and after some updating/inital steps, you should be good to go.

3. Leydeno thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi - thanks for your quick answer. We tried that but it hasn't worked. i have a feeling we may need to remove iTunes first from his PC, reformat the iPod and then reinstall iTunes!?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you try the iPod updater? Failing that you can format it for FAT32 using your Mac and then try the updater on the PC. Yes, I've done it before and it works. You only wipe the drive and not the firmware.

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

man, ipod's are really tricky sometimes. you sort of have to.. sneak up on them and scare them into working sometimes.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how do u format it in FAT32 on the mac?:confused:

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Disk Utility

8. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Actually, it's possible, if you needed to. Either tinker the software updater, or use the terminal.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can't mount the HFS+ formatted iPod though. If you format it to FAT32 and then do a restore using the Windows version of the iPod Software Updater it should work just fine on Windows then.